Large Scale Central

Would it be too much to ask....

Hah, the subject is really an example of something I’d like to bring up.

Could we please have topic titles that relate to the subject…

Things like: “guess what…”, “can someone help”, “found on ebay…”

Please post like “Aristo craft bell needed…”, and especially on things that have nothing to do with trains (thank you to Tom Ruby and Mike Morgan, respectively, really), “I’m a grandpa” and “It’s my birthday”…

I really don’t think it’s too much to ask…

Also in the “request” category, please never make a post shorter than your signature.

This is (I think) a bit clever… clearly one-liners are useless other than seeing your name in print, and long signatures with your breakfast plans a year in advance, and 3 lines to put up one link, quoting someone famous about simplicity and your signature is almost 2 inches high on the screen…

I hope no one really takes this personally, but I have used real examples. With so little real “train” content these days, there seems to be an awful lot of non-train stuff I’d like to skip and quickly.

OK, let all the flames begin!

Greg

Greg,

In my book these are reasonable and very practical suggestions. Except for the last sentence.

Greg I would say that I agree with you, but that would be a pointless, one line, post.

Seriously, between what you are saying, and thread derailments for personal conversations, that are in no way related to the subject, like “hey are you coming to the…?” the content has been watered down.

But, since this is Bob’s baby, maybe he should be the one to do the spanking.

edit for punctuation

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Greg,

In my book these are reasonable and very practical suggestions. Except for the last sentence.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/22355/one-just-has-to-love-these-guys

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/22433/yessssssssssssss

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/22384/testing

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/21936/testing-quot-block-member-quot

I agree as well Greg

David Maynard said:

But, since this is Bob’s baby, maybe he should be the one to do the spanking.

Greg,
Why not just make Bob an offer for LSC.
If you make a deal, then you may run it any way you please :wink:
Ralph

No, actually I was asking for opinions, and perhaps consensus Ralph.

The idea of a forum goes back to Roman times as you most likely know.

Free, but polite expression. Most forums I am on have these kinds of rules/policies and ALL forums need periodic reminders.

I was not trying to enforce anything, I asked a question, are these things too much to ask.

I guess your answer is yes, you like one liners and incomplete subjects.

Greg

Greg my answer was no. I don’t like most of the fluff, even though I know I am guilty of it from time to time.

I see nowhere in the OP where an opinion was asked, nor consensus sought, just a diatribe about what Greg wanted.

So, Greg, about what do you want an opinion, and about what shall we try to reach consensus? Please be specific. :wink:

Note the subject Steve, also referred to the in the body.

Not a diatribe, a question on those examples.

(the personal jab is another thing that I think we can also do without).

Greg

OK, I’m trying to figure out this one-liner/shorter post than the signature block thing…

So, basically, If I understand this, when we compliment someone on a great job on something, we can’t just say ““Beaufitul work””, or Fantastic Job""…

We have to write up a 50 word essay to show our appreciation of their work…

Yanno, I’m old… I’d fall asleep before I got it finished…

I do agree, having the topic title relate to the actual topic would be nice… :slight_smile:

Yep, I do endorse complimenting someone, especially in the modelers forum. I’d say those one liners are nice (notice I kinda lumped the one liners in with a signature longer than your comment, maybe a fine distinction…)

But I do think you can probably also make a compliment on the “deed” more detailed, like complimenting Ray Dunakin on his fantastic details on bricks and stone carving (still don’t know how he has the patience to do it)… also a more detailed compliment would probably mean more to the person you are complimenting… but yes, it DOES take more effort… those darn keyboards are so tiring ha ha. :wink:

Greg

David Russell said:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Greg,

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/22355/one-just-has-to-love-these-guys

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/22433/yessssssssssssss

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/22384/testing

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/21936/testing-quot-block-member-quot

I agree as well Greg

Oh, oh, I guess you do pay attention. Surprise, surprise.

No, it’s not too much to ask, but it is too much to demand. I’m not saying you are demanding anything, rather that when rules become too rigid the friendly banter that makes this website enjoyable for many would be in danger of being lost.

I’ve had many a thread that I started go completely off the rails; sometimes for pages at a time. Many times I will be in there with those that derailed the thread discussing the side track that was taken. To me this is just part of the charm of this forum.

I completely agree with you on thread subjects. Accurate descriptions of what a discussion is supposed to be about helps everyone.

One liners, and/or one character posts don’t bother me in the least.

Greg Elmassian said:

No, actually I was asking for opinions, and perhaps consensus Ralph.

The idea of a forum goes back to Roman times as you most likely know.

Free, but polite expression. Most forums I am on have these kinds of rules/policies and ALL forums need periodic reminders.

I was not trying to enforce anything, I asked a question, are these things too much to ask.

I guess your answer is yes, you like one liners and incomplete subjects.

Greg

“Would it be too much to ask” is, IMHO, an incomplete topic :wink:
Not really any better than the examples you cited.

I have no desire to push my editorial ideas on the author of a post.
If the topic title is insufficient, it may draw less readers.
But it certainly doesn’t draw my ire :wink:
Ralph

I agree with the subject line being direct to the topic. That way if you don’t want to read it you don;t have to.

Other than that I like the community. I like learning about models and prototypes. That is what brought me here. But I have developed some friendship and like the banter as well. That’s why I stay. There are other choices and I favor this one because it is lively. If all we talked about was models and trains we would run out of stuff to talk about.

I see this a train club. I don’t want to show up to a train club meeting and not have banter. Wouldn’t be much fun.

It doesn’t take long to look at a thread and decide not to read it or follow it.

That’s my 2 cents. Not a rant just my opinion.

Well, call me dense, then, but I still don’t know what Greg wants an opinion on, nor do I know on what subject he is seeking a consensus, since he still hasn’t asked. He has hinted, but that is all.

I see no reason to change the way we interact with each other, simply to satisfy Greg’s engineering mind. I find the the thread drifts entertaining, and frequently educating. I understand that Greg’s, and other’s minds are linear, and the drifting can be frustrating to them, but I don’t think that the majority of the folks here have linear minds, and would find what Greg is proposing very stultifying. As far as a thread title, its function is to generate interest, like a newspaper headline, not necessarily to disclose the subject matter of the thread. If it does disclose that, so much the better, but it is not necessary.

What’s wrong with one liners? I’ve never understood that objection on forums. If this were Facebook, we might simply click the “like” button to show our approval or agreement. Here, we don’t have that option. As a modeler, I post my work here to inspire others and to get feedback. A simple “cool” or “awesome” is great to hear. I know I don’t post things like that near as often as I should when I see others’ work. Modeling (of any skill level) needs to be encouraged, and often the simplest, shortest affirmation is all one needs to hear.

Likewise, on threads that are of a more personal nature such as updates on members’ health, what’s wrong with “Get well soon!”? Or “congrats” if it’s good news of some nature. We share those life events because we’re among friends here. It doesn’t matter if we’ve been members here for 10 years or 10 minutes, we’re a close-knit community. Whether we want to admit it or not, we care about each other, and it’s nice to see reflections of our care for each other in our posts. It’s what makes us human.

Later,

K

What is the subject of this thread? Boy what a waste of my time…

Bob does just fine with out your help in my very humble opinion.

Happy Rails

John

I think LSC is great…I roll along with its presentation as it is.

However…

They have just had this same discussion on the UK G Scale Central.
It was beginning to “sound like the Tower of Babel”.
General consensus was…keep the thread on track and any banter to the appropriate section i.e

The Coffee Lounge This secton contains our daily banter topics and any other off topic subject you wish to bring up.

Off topic = Health, holidays, births death, marriages, divorce (!) “buys”, weather, congrats on article publication etc. etc…
The rest of the forum is divided for technical chatter on a particular aspect of the hobby.

They have duty Mods who keeps a beady eye on what goes down…unfortunately Bob the Boss on here can’t do it all…

…and yes…the Mark as Read button is very handy…

That’s where I find the “Mark as Read” button comes in handy. Annoying people, annoying subjects, uninteresting stuff, the “button” avoids all that…and with some people I use it alot…let’s me be my own “moderator” on here…:wink: