Large Scale Central

πŸš„ Work [far from] Home Apprenticeship

Guys;

Cow tipping is a bad thing for the cow. It can break ribs and do other physical harm. I realize most of you are just kidding, but the practice really needs to be shunned. Since some cows sleep on their feet, they can be helpless to such pranks. Only tip a cow fine alfalfa hay if she gives some REALLY good milk.

Best, David Meashey

Speaking of Apprentice training

I was surprised we still have training for steam engines. The locomotive one in WA is no longer posted.

Hahaah!! :laughing:

You probably know this, but the β€œtipping” is when it’s dark. You sneak up on the cow while she’s asleep, and… well, push her over.

Like I said, I only did this once. I was around 15. And the cow was VERY angry, likely because we used a pickup truck (at a very slow speed) to accomplish the tipping. She tipped. But than got up and charged the truck, and the guy driving (my boss at the Boy Scout camp I was working at… it was HIS idea BTW) threw it into reverse. I vaguely recall bouncing all over the cab as the pickup speedily backed out of that field, in the dark, with an angry horned cow so very visible through the windshield in the headlights, trying her damnedest to destroy the pickup. While my boss the driver was frantically trying to find the gate in the rearview mirror.

All this is an example of an apprenticeship, while I worked far from home. :grin:

And, to keep my junk railroad-related, this job of mine was at a Boy Scout camp which made its home in an abandoned Pickering Lumber Co. (sister to the West Side L C) logging camp.

1 Like

Cliff, sounds like you had to check your underwear after that incident. Nighttime is probably the worst time to find you are lactose intolerant.

IMG_9192