Large Scale Central

Woodland Scenics

I’m getting some Woodland Scenics figures but I have a 1930s layout and it’s my first attempt at making alterations and repainting. Any thoughts?

Doug,

To my eye - a bit jauniced at the best of times - a lot of the WS folks will be perfect for the dirty 30s! :wink: :slight_smile:

Woodland Scenics figures are closer to 1:32 scale. The animal figures are closer to 1:48. They don’t do well outdoors. The paint fades or peels. UV damage causes the heads of some figures to break off easily. They are also overpriced. That was the Cons list, there are no Pros. Dennis

The ones I have sure work in 1:20. I’ve had several of them outside for over 3 years and they still look good.

The 30s is an easy period on clothing styles for men. Not so much on women. In rural areas, old women’s styles didn’t change much from the 10s or sometime even the turn of the century. But in the cities women’s styles were already transitioning from the loose fits of the 20s to the more close fiting styles of 40s,50s, 60s and even 70s.
Mens styles look more or less the same as they did as far back as 1860. Except of course the frock coats (which weren’t the only style coats in them days). The average man wore pretty much the same as he did in the mid 1800s. Unless they are in the old west, where the dress styles were a little bit more local.
Probably the most remarkable change in mens styles are the hats, that went through a couple of styles and then finally disappeared or were replaced by beanies or baseball hats.
Bottom line is you should only need a few changes to the male figures, but possible a lot more to the female.

I always thought that WS figures looked like they were modeled on 1950s maybe 1960’s era scenes, I think they would work well for 1930’s era. Aside from specific train items, to me the BEST way to establish an era is with vehicles, having no autos or trucks made after WW2 on the layout really does more to establish a timeline thatn anything else IMHO. If you want to really nail a date have all your 1920s Modet Ts worn and torn but then have one spanking brand new shiny 1936 Model A or Ford Farmall tractor (or other car & year) parked in front of a station with a bunch of townfolks gawking at it, that would help establish a specific year.

Like all plastic outdoors, figurines must be coated with UV protectant each year. If you don’t, all of those bad things mentioned above will happen. :frowning:

I would have a hard time leaving my figures out doors. Regardless of the harmful rays of the sun, there are the other elements, animal droppings from above, dust, leafs and the occasional curious cat all contribute to the gradual degradation of the figure paint job. Why spend a lot of time painting something and then leaving it out for the elements to have their way with it. Much better to just pick em up at the end of the day and put em the structures or in a box.
Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions :slight_smile:
Vehicles and structures are good ways to establish periods as Victor points out.

All of my vehicles and people stay outside all year long. Yep, it’s a hazard, but that’s the price I pay for being too lazy to take them in or set them out. :smiley:

Here’s a shot showing the comparative size.

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/Layout/2011/IMG_9700.JPG)

The conductor is about 5’9" in 1:20. These guys are only a bit shorter. These guys have been outside since 2008…looks like a little repaint might be in order on at least one of them. But, from normal viewing, they don’t look too bad.

Bruce Chandler said:
The ones I have sure work in 1:20. I’ve had several of them outside for over 3 years and they still look good.

I thought my WS guys looked OK with my 1:20.3 models.

(http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg412/DrGrab/MC2-2.jpg)

(http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg412/DrGrab/TrestA640.jpg)

Boss Crumb ( the guy with the belly) is a true 1:20.3 figure. The rest of his gang are Woodland Scenics figures. I have enjoyed the character these guys bring to Tennessee mountain RR pictures. Doc Tom

Dennis Brown said:
Woodland Scenics figures are closer to 1:32 scale. The animal figures are closer to 1:48. They don't do well outdoors. The paint fades or peels. UV damage causes the heads of some figures to break off easily. They are also overpriced. That was the Cons list, there are no Pros. Dennis
I have to disagree with you Dennis. They are more like 1:22- 1:24. According to woodland scenics they are 1:22 scale. They look ok with 1:20 stuff. I leave mine outside as well and so far no fading or damage to them. Some are going on their 3rd year outside in all extremes. Most will work perfect for the 30's era. The LGB and Arsito or a little more modern looking. Also try the railroad Ave figures. They are 1:20 but again will work with woodland if you place them apart. They will also work for your era.

I myself like a good variety of sizes for figures. I have some Prieser 1:22 scale and some other figures from various figure makers and they are all smaller to some degree with the figures that I make, but they look right. People aren’t and weren’t all the same sizes. Case in point Doc Tom’s image of the flat car with folks sitting on it. They all look natural together.