Large Scale Central

wooden base for switch mechanism

I had asked if anyone had any extra long switch mechanisms to change to barrel switch, no one responded so I tried to make my own out of hardwood pieces, cut them down to size glued them together and tried them out, so far works great, good solid base, painted them with outdoor paint, should last a while, might make covers for them in winter and really sunny days, sun is not good for plastic pieces.

different angle

worked out great, now have about 6 more to do

Go Tom! Good work. :wink:

Tom,

I don’t recognize the ground throw, who’s is it?

Thanks,

Bob C.

Bob,

Those are Tenmile ground throws. They are made in England but you can get them from dealers in the US. Bruce at SwitchCrafters sells them from his site. www.switchcrafters.com/

Chuck

Chuck is correct, Tenmile, got them from a LSC member a few years ago, work great, very easy to convert, I can do it in about 10 minutes, after 4 or 5 you learn tricks to make it go faster.

Tom H

Switchcrafters has this throw on there website.

http://www.switchcrafters.com/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/product_images.cgi?account=X381875;product_id=AG-135;image=D300003%2FX381875%2Fimages%2Fcatalog%2FTenmille-AG135.jpg

I use plastic .250 x .250 squares for the tie extensions… I usually cover them with an L shaped plastic shape of 2 different sizes, to make the piece look the same size as the tie… I have been adding a brass strip on the bottom for strength.

All my first switches had tenmiles on them, but now am just using an L-shaped metal bracket as a throw, on a bolt, with a lock nut to maintain tightness. A lot cheaper…

I use some of those ground throws here on the desert and they have been outside for over 10 years. I never covered them and that plastic holds up fine.