Large Scale Central

Wood for ties

I am installing a stranded bamboo floor. I was wondering if that wood would be good for ties? Any thoughts on this.

Iā€™d suggest you try how hard it is to drive spikes. Just for kicks I cut and stained ties from some additional types of wood - usually I use cedar. Oak and Tamarack requires pre-drilling for the spikes, Pine was not quite as tough. To get variety I now use Pine in addition to Cedar.

I use redwood, especially the red heartwood. I can drive the steel spikes in fairly easily, they rust in nicely, and the ties last a long time. Havenā€™t had any failures, yet.

Louis Sommers said:

I am installing a stranded bamboo floor. I was wondering if that wood would be good for ties? Any thoughts on this.

Depends whether it is indoors or out. Indoors anything will work. Outside, only redwood will survive the wet northern climes. Cedar works in more arid areas, and pine is generally considered too soft and too prone to rot ? (I only tried redwood so maybe I am off base.)

I suspect bamboo will warp after a few weeks outside. Cut some ties and try it - weā€™d love to know. (Is your floor solid or ā€˜engineeredā€™ wood?

I have some experience with bamboo in environments that get wet and dry.

Itā€™s almost impervious, hard, and will last a long time. You WILL have to drill spike holes.

It is used a lot in certain climes where it is abundant.

(thought Iā€™d respond to the actual question)

Greg

Thanks for the input Greg.I figured Iā€™d have to drill holes. this wood is hard as a rock. I have some test pieces in water Iā€™ll let sit for a few weeks and see what happens.

Lou

I believe you will find it stands up to water very well. I donā€™t have data on being in the sunlight, and itā€™s difficult to stain it, but itā€™s very dense and hard. Might have to soak the ties in stain for a couple of days. Will be interested to see what you find out.

Greg

For the stain to penetrate Iā€™d suggest to rough-sand the wood after cutting the ties - cutting on the bandsaw will do part of that job. Leaving the ties in the stain for several days will give them a chance to soak it up.

Hey guys. Since I started this thread I have cut 4 test ties and they have been soaking in water. As of today I see no evidence of any delamination however the wood is a little slimy. Will continue to soak for at least two more weeks. I did run two short boards thru the planer to remove the finish on the top side, that did not go as well as planned.

Lou

Louis Sommers said:

Hey guys. Since I started this thread I have cut 4 test ties and they have been soaking in water. As of today I see no evidence of any delamination however the wood is a little slimy. Will continue to soak for at least two more weeks. I did run two short boards thru the planer to remove the finish on the top side, that did not go as well as planned.

Lou

Suggest you try some wet/dry cycles also.

Many laughed and snickered, but ā€¦ I built a complete turnout with the materials I planned on using and had that sit out in the weather for almost two years to see what would change. Heat, rain, snow, ice and whatever else was served up.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Many laughed and snickered, but ā€¦ I built a complete turnout with the materials I planned on using and had that sit out in the weather for almost two years to see what would change. Heat, rain, snow, ice and whatever else was served up.

I did the same. I even ran it through the dishwasher a few times. I figured that if it could survive that, it could survive anything. so far, so good.

Thatā€™s a good idea Dennis. Iā€™ve taken two pieces from the water and put them outside in the sun. Let them sit for and see what happens.

Lou

Steve Featherkile said:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

I did the same. I even ran it through the dishwasher a few times. I figured that if it could survive that, it could survive anything. so far, so good.

Steve

With or without Jet Dry ?

Steve Featherkile said:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

I read a few times that people do that with commercial, used track to have it appear ā€œalmost like newā€. Some even use a special detergent, but I never inquired if they use a hair dryer or a hot-air gun to finish the job. Gently used and never abused with all the little screws still in place etc. etc. etc.

They do use bamboo for (exterior) scaffolding over along the pacific rim !!

Even though seemingly quite abundant over there, ya would think it is used for more than one job/contract ā€¦ many days.

http://www.oobject.com/category/16-impressive-examples-of-bamboo-scaffolding/

that said they probably erect/tie, allowing for any warping (during its usability-span) that might occur !?

i got some chinese eating sticks from bamboo. bougt them in the late 60ies, when they came into fashion.
one was a little bent, when i bought them.
now, four and a half decades, many dry times in the drawer, uncounted times in washing water, or dishwashers later, there is still just one of them bent.

the only point, that could speak against bamboo would be imho that it might be costly to get bamboo in the necessary thickness for G-scale ties.

Louis Sommers said:

Louis

As long as itā€™s real bamboo and not a laminate I personally think it would be neat to see your results with it making ties.

It looks like a pressed bamboo. Donā€™t know what type of glue was used. The flooring is already 3/8" thick so it should be just a matter of setting the fence to the required width, then cut to length, and that brings up another question. Is there something out there that I can use as a guide for cutting the ties for switches?

Lou

Louis Sommers said:

It looks like a pressed bamboo. Donā€™t know what type of glue was used. The flooring is already 3/8" thick so it should be just a matter of setting the fence to the required width, then cut to length, and that brings up another question. Is there something out there that I can use as a guide for cutting the ties for switches?

Lou

Yes, Fast Tracks http://www.handlaidtrack.com/ has a gazillion scales and types of turnouts as templates (free download at http://www.handlaidtrack.com/Fast-Tracks-Printable-Track-Templates-s/11.htm). Print, measure and convert.

PS Let us know how that laminate holds up out in the weather.