Large Scale Central

Wire Mesh Screen

So my latest 3D challenge was developing a woven wire mesh. This was not as easy as I originally thought it would be. As it sits it is a 6mm mesh with a little over a 2mm diameter wire. Of course if I want a smaller or larger gauge mesh its a matter of scaling. I don’t have any particular use for this at the moment but could come in handy on a host of projects. This was the cause (or result) of a bought of insomnia and I started thinking about a screen mesh for a tee pee burner and then wondered if I could design it and print it.

Does anyone know how (if at all) this type of flat surface can be shaped? I don’t know of anyway in Fusion to do it. What about blender, I have no experience with blender. I would love to make this into a dome shape for the top of the teepee burner. If I can’t do it I will use some brass screen and form it that way. But am curious if there is a way to do it in a 3D design program.

I can check with my son and ask if he is willing to discuss how to do what you ask. He created this screen for my Mogul project.

If you’re interested, I can give you his email address.

2 Likes

Absolutely Doc. That is exactly what I want to do.

I’ll get back to you.

Devon,

I have found when i modeled similar flat screen the file size got to be huge and unmanageable. would be easier to work with brass screen formed over a ball IMHO.

Al P.

If you go that route, depending on the type of brass mesh or screen, you might have to solder the edges of the piece to avoid it unraveling when you form it over a dome. Dont ask me how I know, but that stuff isnt cheap when you have to buy it twice.

What about the use of a cheap tea or bigger kitchen strainer, which would be stainless steel ? The plus is they are already dome shaped for you.

1 Like

I’ve built at least a half dozen Tee Pee burners and always used an 8 inch metal kitchen strainer, works very well.

The latest build starts at post 86 in this thread.

Starting with a given top dimension say 8 inches gives you the design for the rest of the burner.

After the first years of building all kinds of shapes and sizes the industry settled on a couple of Rules of Thumb" for the design of an air cooled burner .

1 the diameter of the base equal the height of the cone.
2 The diameter of the cap should be half that of the base.

Just a little trivia :grin:

1 Like

That’s actually a good idea. May go that route. The burner that is at Burke or was at Burke is tiny compared to most I have seen. I mean tiny. It’s probably no more than 15 feet tall and maybe 10 in diameter at the base. I am guessing on those numbers but as these things go it was very small. I have seen others at regular saw mills and they are three or four times the size.

So some sort of kitchen strainer is a brilliant idea. I still would like to know how to do this to expand my design skills. But most likely a kitchen strainer is the route I’ll go

Al,

Why would a mesh screen be any larger than any other sort of stl file. To date I have never had an issue with file. Size either on the computer, transferring it on a thumb drive, or being read by the printer. This isn’t something I even thought about being a concern.

Amazon has a set of 3 - various sizes. Not sure exactly what size you’re looking for, but I suspect you can get pretty close (although I doubt you need 3 of them! :laughing:)

Though this may be an “opportunity” to get your cook involved - perhaps they would like the other sizes?

If anyone is curious about burners here is a couple of links that are interesting.

http://www.livinggoldpress.com/teepeetopiclist.htm

This second link is interesting because it lists all the burners that are known to still exist in the Western states.

Are you saying I have split personality syndrome or something. . . I am the cook.

I would NEVER be so crass to say something like THAT to somebody with a hole in their head! :innocent:

So, what’s for dinner? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

If you get invited, Bruce…please do a review…!!!
FJM

Bruce,
Anyone who comes and visits my layout/operates has earned them some homemade creampuffs… Devon is still owes me a few ops sessions in return… he keeps claiming this hole in his head has issues every time I see him. :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That is sad but true. It does seem to be a high priority each and every time. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: