Large Scale Central

Winter project

Randy McDonald said:
NO IT'S NOT DONE YET! get your azz over here and move some dirt for me. :)
Shawn only works with genuine Jersey dirt ;) Ralph
Randy McDonald said:
NO IT'S NOT DONE YET! get your azz over here and move some dirt for me. :)
When will it be done?

Randy,

Another question about your rods. What did you use for the “nuts” on the top and bottom?

Jake they are 2-56 nuts and washers from micro fasteners.

Got the short trestle fitted today and established the elevations. Put in a retaining wall for one end of the trestle as well. Now take out the Lattice bridge and trestle and return to the shop to complete the bridge ties and spike the rail

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/kettle_valley/_forumfiles/IMG_0870.JPG)

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/kettle_valley/_forumfiles/IMG_0871.JPG)

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/kettle_valley/_forumfiles/IMG_0872.JPG)

Sweet!~
:slight_smile:

Mount that beautiful abutment/retaining wall to some solid rebar pounded into the ground

No need to Roos, it has several ‘deadmen’ to anchor it just like the 1:1 guys do. It’s very solid.

Page 11

Randy McDonald said:
Jake they are 2-56 nuts and washers from micro fasteners.
Hmm, I got those and they seemed kind of large. Did you grind off some of the nut to make it look smaller? I was thinking of doing that on mine and grinding them down to make a smaller square head. Like what Bruce did on his EBT wood hopper builds.

If it isnt too much of a trouble, could you take a closeup picture of the bolt detail?

No problem Jake Here ya go…first the thru truss bridge and then the lattice girder.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/kettle_valley/_forumfiles/IMG_0873.JPG)

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/kettle_valley/_forumfiles/IMG_0874.JPG)

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/kettle_valley/_forumfiles/IMG_0875.JPG)

I want trains running by summer. Your on a roll. Ill help you if you pay for a round trip to Canada for 4 people. My little guy is a good helper.

Shawn said:
I want trains running by summer. Your on a roll. Ill help you if you pay for a round trip to Canada for 4 people. My little guy is a good helper.
What makes you think Randy wants you to bring Rooster along ? :) :) ;)

I’ll try my best Shawn…sorry no return air fare is in the cards. I can barely afford to drive to the next town.And NO ya can’t bring the Rooster and his train hating hound!!! :wink: :slight_smile:

If Rooster flaps his wings ( or is it his mouth? :stuck_out_tongue: ) he should be able to fly you there.

E. Paul Austin said:
Does the seller use UPS or FedEX? USPS can get VERY costly at times! Try that way.

Paul

I see you’re in Bremerton, Paul. I’m guessing that’s in the 'States somewhere?

UPS and Fed-Ex are probably a good deal as long as you’re down there, but they’re not really an option for us in Canada. These guys charge us a $60.00 brokerage fee at the door. Cash now.

Because of this charge, I must ask all my American suppliers to use USPS. This sometimes surprises them, because they seem to be used to the idea that UPS and FedEx are cheaper carriers. They may seem cheaper at first blush only. Up here, we’re really screwed.

I just bought an unusually small order - slightly under $15.00 worth of parts I needed. Postage to me here was about $25.00. I decided I couldn’t justify that, so I had the guy send it to a pal in Texas for about $15.00. Still quite a lot of $.

Now my pal will hold onto it for me. Eventually I’ll have some other stuff posted to him until it all makes up a halfway decent package and then he’ll ship the whole lot up to me.

It’s all incredibly complicated, time and money-wasting for a few pieces of stuff. Now I’ll just have to wait awhile to get it, but that seems to be the best I can do at the moment. As fpor me, I’ll just bite the bullet and work on other projects instead until I finally have those bits and pieces in my hands, probably next winter sometime.

If you need to return something across the border for exchange or repairs it can get really complicated and costly. Traffic both ways involves taxes and forms and general gov’t botheration!

Ahh, me… Challenges make us better men, they say. :slight_smile:

Yep, it’s a no-no to ship Fed ex or UPS north of the 49th for the most part. And as John said, then there’s those “fees” as well. When I buy across the border I like USPS because then it comes duty free and no taxes. Kinda makes up for the postage most of the time. As a side note I just bought some spikes and guages from Switchcrafters. The order was for $15.00 and the postage was $3.30.

And smuggling used to be such an honest profession. :lol:

Pay the squeeze and go about your business.

Yup, Randy, it finally becomes more or less workable if it’s a TINY package like that, and as you say, most of that kind of thing slips through sans tax, thanks be to God.

Interesting that you could never post that little packet in Canada for that rate - at least not officially - Our Post Office has eliminated Parcel post and Printed matter rates, and does not permit anything other than documents inside envelopes. You’d have to post it as a package, at something over $7.00.

Meanwhile, By the way, the ‘Royal’ PITA Mail in England has just near DOUBLED their rates. Feel sorry for the Brits, who from their Post Office are really getting the Royal shaft.

Somebody has to pay for their weddings…

Those colonists to our South were right, back in '76…

Steve: I am descended from a long line of professional smugglers. My ancestors used to smuggle booze across the English Channel. They profited going in both directions. Wine, Liqueurs and Cognac from France into England, Whisky and beer back home the other way.

As an utterly ungovernable sonovagun myself, I’m very proud of 'em. :cool:

Randy McDonald said:
NO ya can't bring the Rooster and his train hating hound!!! ;) :)
You hurt my feelings Randy! I just got a permit to carry them not too long ago! :(
David Russell said:
Randy McDonald said:
NO ya can't bring the Rooster and his train hating hound!!! ;) :)
You hurt my feelings Randy! I just got a permit to carry them not too long ago! :(
Whoever issued that permit sure did skimpy background checks. :lol: