Large Scale Central

Will this give me problems......

I’d read some while back that you don’t want an “s” curve on your layout. If you did there better be a straight piece between them as long as your longes railroad car.

Here is what I have. two 20’ diameter curves. Is this going to give me fits?

I’m not real sure there is a way around it. I like the idea of have a long straight going into the siding/spur, for no other reason than looks. I don’t have any longer straight stretches on the layout.

So, what’s your opinions?

Thanks.

With such wide radius, I’m sure it will be no problem! :wink:

Now this could give you a problem…

(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--gTUNQIav--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/18mjn5y6jujfhjpg.jpg)

Matt,

It APPEARS in the photo that you have a 20’ curve to the right, followed by a 20’ curve to the left, followed by a presumably 20’ curve back to the right. Would it be possible instead to run straight from the far curve, possibly a short straight from the bridge with a single (possibly custom cut) curve making the joint?

Bob C.

Joe,

Isn’t that NZ after the earthquake?

Bob C

Matt Russell said:

Is this going to give me fits?

Nope

Bob Cope said:

Joe,

Isn’t that NZ after the earthquake?

Bob C

You got it. Here’s the caption and the link…

“This past September, a quake rocked Canterbury, New Zealand.”

http://gizmodo.com/5685475/the-power-of-an-earthquake-turns-train-tracks-to-spaghetti

I wouldn’t do it. Even with 20’ curves I think nothing makes our trains look more toy like than unnecesary twists an turns. Real RR’s only curve when they need to to head in another direction or work their way around an obstacle.

Your bridge is not set in stone so if you backed up to before that and cut a 20’ curve in half you could reset your bridge then have a near straight shot to get where you are going.

Then again if you realy like the S curve be sure to put something in the way like a large rock that required the RR to go around it. You could go crazy and put in a “historic site” or some type of endangered flora , I have huge mushrooms (plastic) that my RR had to work around with a similar S but I put a long straight inbetween.

Try running your longest train through it and see what you think.

I meandered my track in front of my rock wall, and I like the look of the train weaving its way along. Its a narrow gauge/short-line thing. The class 1 mainlines try to be nearly arrow straight. I do have an S curve on my railroad that doesn’t give me any problems. Its a 10 foot diameter curve into a 10 foot diameter curve, that slightly eases from one direction to the other. So its not an abrupt reverse, but it doesn’t have a straight section in it neither. So I do not think your arrangement will cause you any problems.

This question comes up frequently when looking across the spectrum of model railway in general .

There is no right answer , there is however the point that the layout should not cause damage to your stock , so ease curves and/or put speed restrictions on .

My personal view is that too much in the way of straight line modelling makes train watching boring .

If you made your railway with a track straight down your property and straight back , you would soon get fed up watching it , yet perversely , a “U” shape is perfect for one-man operation----you face one way to send the train out and do a smart about face to bring it in .

I think that the photos from Matt show an acceptable curvature , and will make for interesting watching .

It has the necessary straights to negotiate the bridge without hitting it , and a rock to the left of the further curve would give a reason for the curve if people want to be fussy .

Mike

I run smaller engines and would never have a problem.
Large engines might have an issue.
Run your larges engines and cars but make sure you run it at speed and multiple times. Then you will find out if it might be a problem. You might have to have speed restrictions on those curves.

Wow!! Thanks for all the input! You guys are awesome.

Bob, in that first pic it goes 20’ to the right, then 20’ to the left into approximately 10’ of straight. It’s a 5 foot section of straight and that’s why it looks like a curve. I don’t have it level yet.

In the second pic, right after the bridge it goes into a 20’ curve. That end of the layout is basically a giant “u”.

I think I’m going to leave it after reading all the comments. Seems like everybody says it will work, but just not prototypical. I may try a different configuration without the “s” just to see if it looks ok going into that switch, but I kind of like the way it is with a long straight right there.

Thanks again everybody!

Mat;

You will have no problem with that curvature, in fact you have done what is recommended, in model railroading.

Long straight stretches of track in a model railroad should be avoided, just like TIGHT CURVES, AND ESPECIALLY S CURVES.

Breaks in long straight stretches of track, along with appropriate scenery add to the interest of the railroad, and prevent the long boring look.

It is true that on real railroads, curves are not added unless needed, but modeling is a slightly different world.

Thanks Fred!

Right now the longest engine I have is the SD40-2 and the longest freight car are the evans box cars. I think they are longer than my aml grain cars. Anyway. Now, I’m sure in the future I’ll have some autoracks, but I’ll have to save for those. Thant, and I think I’d rather have a nice consist of coal cars first. But all in due time. Layout needs completed first. lol.

Thanks again for all the feedback guys. I sure do appreciate it. :smiley:

Matt:

While this looks pretty temporary, would it be possible to make it “permanent” enough to actually run your existing equipment through that section?

It should help you know that at least those will or will not cause problems. I also suspect that some level of success or failure may be due to your particular couplers and whether or not they are body or truck mounted.

Might be worth the effort to give it a shot before committing.

With truck mounted knuckles or hook couplers that shouldn’t be a problem,

Body mounted knuckle couplers?..that could have body push issues.

Is there any way you can add a small straight section in between? Even something as short as a 12" section could work wonders to alleviate issues with body mounted couplers

I tried “S” curves using 20 ft diameter curves and 830 couplers. Frequent derailments even with that set up. I re-aligned the track after a few weeks.

I agree with Vic, if you are using coupler mounted couplers, you should be able to get away with it, but I really don’t thing that you will ever be satisfied with it.

Its your railroad, do what satisfies you.

I have many reverse curves on my layout and I don’t have any major problems. Truck mounted couplers on all my stock. Some of my larger passenger cars (~30") are tight but do make it.
Dennis
edit: I need to make that pic smaller :)(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/dtetreault/_forumfiles/layout85.png)

An “S” curve with 20’ diameter curves isn’t going to cause any issues. While it is–technically–an “S” curve, it’s a very broad curve compared to the length of the equipment we run (even the long stuff.) The big issue with “S” curves is the coupler offset. Too much, and the cars will pull each other off the track. With curves this broad–even on long streamliners or similar modern equipment–you’re not looking at much offset at all. That would easily be handled by the side-to-side play in the couplers unless you’re using something with VERY limited side-to-side play.

Steve, how long were the cars you were running through your curve? I had similar “S” curves of 20’ diameter on my line in upstate NY. Nothing ever came close to pitching a fuss going through. Kadee 830s have a lot more side-to-side play than the couplers I was using. I wasn’t running 80’ modern passenger cars through them, but even my long 1:20 stuff I run today gets through the “S” curves into and out of my passing sidings with no trouble, and they’re less than 20’ diameter (approx 16’ dia.)

Later,

K

I’m running truck mounted knuckle couplers. I don’t know if I will ever switch them out or not. If I did, it would be way down the road sometime.

Thanks!

Hi Matt
At a 20’ reverse curve the coupler offset is the same as between a straight and a 10’ curve and nobody as ever had a problem with them. Elsewhere in this Forum an analysis of this question has been made. http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/21446/how-to-turn-r1-track-into-straig
I think the real question is the justification for such a feature - a natural obstacle such as a rocky ridge or a river or pond.

José Morais
Headmaster of the Lapa Furada RR