Large Scale Central

Will this get me through?πŸ“πŸ“

As there appears to be no standard, is this template my best option for track laying?

1 Like

Well, that depends! I don’t see any scale mentioned anywhere on that diagram. I’ll assume it’s based on LGB rolling stock that is generally 1:22ish. If that is the case, and you will be running LGB stock or smaller (1:24-1:32) you should be OK. If you plan to run 1:20.3 stock, you will need a bigger template.

What none of these templates take into account is car overhang on curves. Long cars on tight curves can have extreme overhang requiring lots more clearance on the inside of the curve than the template will show.

I just spent the last hour looking through my computer for a gauge drawing I have with no luck. If I come up with it I’ll post.

1 Like

Yes, It is an LGB template with height stipulated for overhead wire. I have a flatcar and bobber caboose in 1:20.3 and thought if I ever get a locomotive it would be shorter than a pantograph.

Herself has ownership of the long orient express carriages, so curve clearance is an issue.

I have a wood 1:20.3 template I can photo and measure if you want. I never found the one I was looking for.

Jon, That would be most appreciated.

Here ya go.

Sorry they are upside down. I took them landscape :frowning:

1 Like

We found if a 2-year old can pass through the tunnel, you are pretty much good to go…

This was Kid-zilla in 2018. The boy has moved from MOW duty to the locomotive works!

Eric

4 Likes

Thanks Jon. I’m getting the ruler out. Looks like I’ll need more soil.

Ha! Sounds like a dangerous precedent Eric. With Kidzilla’s embracing the hobby, I’d be hesitant to let him know you used him as a tunnel scale.
You just may find you’re moving up to 1:8 scale or even β€œGrand Scale” as he gets older.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

As long as the shoes dont disturb the roadbed…

He’s in Hawai’i, so they probably don’t wear shoes.

Bill, here is an NMRA page on clearance diagrams

Also look at RP-7.1 https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/sandrp/pdf/rp-7.1_tangent_track_centers_and_clearance_diagrams_2019.01.pdf

2 Likes