Large Scale Central

Why does it take all day...

Mike Morgan said:

Steve , you should have thought the other problem through before you posted , the other problem being "Ya shoulda dun dis " which for future reference on this site should become a new word ------

Yashudadundis (n.) the art of making someone feel stupid by making comments based on

hindsight (qv) .

Hindsight (n) the practise of staring out of ones fundamental orifice in order to make

comments of a superior nature .

Fundamental Orifice (n) That part of the human body through which superior beings speak

(alt) A third eye through which a person can practise hindsight (qv)

Mike Brit

ps for those with a sense of humour only , not a personal attack .

I understand this was in humor.

But all kidding aside, do you really feel that I was wrong, and that is was a matter of “superiority” for pointing out where the real problem probably was (someone probably crossed the wires) so that others don’t make this same mistake?

Todd, what you said was just fine. Had I known that before I opened the thing up, I could have saved myself a lot of fuss, at least for a while. Those cold solders would fail, sooner probably than later, and I would have to go back in, so its all good in the end. I just wonder if any more are going to fail?

Todd said

“But all kidding aside, do you really feel that I was wrong, and that is was a matter of “superiority” for pointing out where the real problem probably was (someone probably crossed the wires) so that others don’t make this same mistake?”

Of course you were not wrong , I think we all try to help each other here , and that’s a good thing . Nothing wrong with your comment at all .

I was just trying to make us see the lighter side of the frustrations of being told after the event that there was a better way of doing it , the initial reaction of a lot of people having been told they did it wrong is “who’s this smartass?” then admitting that it could have been done better , differently , whatever .

What is creditable about Steve’s initial post was that he admitted the wrongdoing and raised the point to help others .

But all of us , without exception , should realise that the job was done correctly , given the information that was available at the time . Note the last four words . Very important . He who tries can make mistakes ; he who doesn’t try never made anything .

So yes Todd , your comment was valid and not obnoxious .

Mike Brit

Todd Brody said:

I understand this was in humor.

But all kidding aside, do you really feel that I was wrong, and that is was a matter of “superiority” for pointing out where the real problem probably was (someone probably crossed the wires) so that others don’t make this same mistake?

Todd,

In my previous life I did troubleshooting on fairly sophisticated machine tools for 30 years; that’s where HJ’s Law stems from. Interestingly it works equally well when applied to hobbies or generally around the house.

With the one caveat: Your mileage may differ according to practise.

Featherkile’s Corollary on HJ’s Law: No matter what happens, that is what you planned.

Steve Featherkile said:

Featherkile’s Corollary on HJ’s Law: No matter what happens, that is what you planned.

Actually that’s already covered under " Your mileage may differ according to practise."

Decades (?) ago when i tried using the solder gun for electronics work I found it did not work properly (i read later likely insufficient heat).

Less than a decade ago, trying out soldering some electronics again after buying a proper solder ‘pencil’ and with patience (and practice, which reminds me of air brushing) working fine.

Shucks even the LED upgrade for my AC Gon’ snowplow still working after a couple winters of assignments !!

Now to schedule more time to tinker with electronics. Maybe first crack open the hoods of that USA44T where i replaced the stock headlights with LEDS but for some reason a couple yrs back was dead-on-track … cold solder joints from using that semi-retired ‘gun’ ? lol

Doug Cannon said:

Decades (?) ago when i tried using the solder gun for electronics work I found it did not work properly (i read later likely insufficient heat).

Decades ago (for real) I walked into my local electronics supplier (back East) who had just received a small quantity of soldering systems - Ungar 9000 - which were surplus at a local high-tech outfit which was always at the bleeding edge in respect to equipment.

Still wasn’t inexpensive, but oh my, does it do the job.

I am surprised at your experience with a solder gun , Doug .

They were designed so that poorly trained ladies could do assembly work on circuits without doing damage . They also save on company electric bills and reduce fire risk .

I have such a gun , and would use nothing else where you can’t get a shunt in to solder a small vulnerable item . Maybe you got a crappy gun .

Mine is made by Wella . Good stuff .

Mike Brit

SF,

I never said I could read well.

And your memory is as short as mine. You asked me for advise on this subject at Chucks meeting. And I was sitting with two other Geezers who witnessed the conversation.