Large Scale Central

Who makes the best 332 brass switches in standard guage?

Having aristo problems. I want to switch over. I run track power indoors. Can anyone give me a heads up on the best 332 brass switch builders? sunset valley ? switch crafters ? llagas? Any info can help thanks. P.S all my aristo 4ft and xwide will be sold on ebay soon.

Troy,
I have had no problem, inside or out with LGB switches.
I use the 1800 series out side exclusively. They run the gamut of 105 degree to -20 and three feet or snow.
Inside, I have used their 1600’s, the original ones I bought for the layout., for 15 years.
Just my .02 worth.
And welcome to LSC!

Llagas I’ve heard but you’ll pay for em. Al Kramer on Ebay professes USA wide the best here is the link to them here. The Regal

http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-TRAINS-6-X-WIDE-ELECTRIC-R-H-SWITCH-IS-THE-BEST_W0QQitemZ120491573818QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item1c0ddb823a

Troy,

I’ve heard Ken Brunt makes the best, but the price is way out of line. And that is just one man’s opinion. He might show you how to make your own, if you ask nicely.

You might check out the Ottawa Valley site for how to repair the Aristo Turnouts you have.

http://www.ovgrs.org

The brutal truth is they all need tweaking after awhile. I have all LGB 1600’s, but with some of them being outside for 13 years, they all need maintenance every now and then. Its part of the hobby and also the real railroad world.

Actually mine are 250 aluminum and yes, they need maintenance a little more than ready made.

Hey Tony,

First of all welcome to the site. You might want to look at Switchcrafters. They come in 332 brass and they are made for both battery or track power. www.switchcrafters.com

Chuck

TROY MALECKI said:
Having aristo problems. I want to switch over. I run track power indoors. Can anyone give me a heads up on the best 332 brass switch builders? sunset valley ? switch crafters ? llagas? Any info can help thanks. P.S all my aristo 4ft and xwide will be sold on ebay soon.
Welcome Troy. Now why would you want to do that? Please explain exactly what are your reasons for dispensing with such wonderful products. Don't tell me the much (self)hyped AristoCraft makes another product that doesn't perform satisfactorily over the duration? ;)

Chuck,

Have you got personal experience, and for how long, with Switchcrafters?

BEFORE I INSTALLED THEM I HAD TROUBLE WITH POINTS AND FROGS. I TESTED THEM WITH BACH ARISTO HART AND USA CARS WITH METAL AND PLASTIC WHEELS. I THOUGHT I FIXED THE PROBLEMS, YEA RIGHT ARISTO ENGINES DID OK ACROSS THEM BUT USA AND OTHER ENGINES DID NOT. SO RATHER THAN GO THROUGH AND SPEND WHAT SEAMS HUNDREDS ON MAN HOURS TO FIX THEM I AM GOING A DIFFERENT ROUTE, REPLACING OR BUILDING THEM IS EASIER. I ALSO LOVE SHORT WHEEL BASE DEISEL SWITCHERS TOO AND WE KNOW HOW THAT GOES AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Troy,

If you are considering hand laying turnouts, Garden Railways magazine recently (last couple of months) had a two part article on that subject. After the issues we have had at our club with Aristo #6 and wide turnouts, that is the route I will be taking. Too many burnt up USA motor blocks.

Bob C.

Hey Ric,

No personal experience yet, I have sold a few through our store and my customers have not complained. I plan on putting a few on our new layout that we are going to start in Spring. I removed what layout I had after I lost a 24’x 50’ building last winter from the snow. The new layout will occupy the area where the old building was and will have parking access for my trains in the new 25’x 48’ shop.

Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks for the answers. Just wondering, because I hadn’t heard of anyone that had, or has, tried them. I guess 13 years of exposure outside will have to be verified in about 13 years. :wink:

Ric Golding said:
Chuck,

Thanks for the answers. Just wondering, because I hadn’t heard of anyone that had, or has, tried them. I guess 13 years of exposure outside will have to be verified in about 13 years. :wink:

Bob has them. Don’t know if they ever got outside. Bruce might have some too, not sure. I remember Bob singing their praises when he bought some.

Jon Radder said:
Ric Golding said:
Chuck,

Bob has them. Don’t know if they ever got outside. Bruce might have some too, not sure. I remember Bob singing their praises when he bought some.

That’s the turnouts Bob and Bruce bought? I knew the brand name sounded familiar. I imagine Bruce will give a review when he has a chance.

Yup. I looked at them, but didn’t have a need at the time.

If you use the USA slider shoes, they will catch on various switches, including LGB.
Simplest fix is to replace them with LGB shoes-----direct drop in.
Or remove the sliders all together.

Switchcrafters don’t have insulated frogs. (Unless that’s an option I don’t know about.) The guy is using indoor track power.

John Bouck said:
Switchcrafters don't have insulated frogs. (Unless that's an option I don't know about.) The guy is using indoor track power.
Good point, one I would need to consider too since I run both.

My SVRR switches have been great, I use them with their ground throw. Mine are code 250 but I would assume the bigger ones are okay, if he makes them in that code.

I have had no trouble with manual Aristocraft switches on my 7 yr-old outdoor layout. Sometimes they get a little sticky, but doesn’t everything need a little cleaning and attention after a while? My unhappiness with Aristocraft track, however, is that it oxidizes more rapidly than most other brands except LGB, necessitating much more frequent cleaning than, say USA Trains track which I use almost exclusively for that reason. Some of my large scale friends say that all the track has the same manufacturer in China. Maybe so, but I maintain the alloys are slightly different from brand to brand, causing them to oxidize at different rates. My few LGB sections even get a gummy film on them. I’ve also noticed a very slight difference in rail thickness from brand to brand, a difference that shows up when I apply a Split Jaw rail clamp, which I also use exclusively. Those clamps grab all brands equally well, except for AML track whose foot is slight thicker than the other brands, strongly suggesting to me that large scale code 332 brass rail does not have a single manufacturer in China.

USA Trains, I have five on my layout and not one problem with them. I can run wide open through them and no derailments.