Large Scale Central

While waiting for the additional track .....

… from Llagas. it was time to re-visit some of the beginner’s mistakes from many years ago, one of them being the transition from elevated track to ladder roadbed.

Hard to believe but HD had TREX in stock - we are in the wilds of BC after all. Hefty stuff with a nice applied layer of texture which makes it stiffer. Mounted a sturdy 2x4 under the protruding plywood tongue to fasten the TREX both vertically and horizontally. The rest is all clearly visible in the pictures.

The original

Other remedial work was applied to “Seedorf” where an extra track is being added. Keeping several tracks parallel without adding cross bracing is at best an illusion.

Pictures of that to follow.

Then you lay the track right on the ladder? Could you describe your method?

Around here, they just lay track on the ground and ballast it.

Tom Ruby said:

Then you lay the track right on the ladder? Could you describe your method?

Around here, they just lay track on the ground and ballast it.

The why and how of the ladder track you’ll find here

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/html/ground_level.html

BTW the guys on LSC are responsible for my “let’s do ladder track” decision.

HJ,

Is it just the picture or is there a tight clearance on the inside of lefthand curve going through the brickwork? Looks like a spot for a potential tight squeeze.

Craig

Enough clearance for the longest cars with the most overhang.

Actually not overhang, right? But “cutting the curve”. You can put the trucks at the very end of a long car and have very little overhang, but then it will really cut a chord across the curve.

There must be a term for this, but 80’ streamliners fit?

Greg

The longest car is a KISS centre entrance coach (proto; 17630mm) and that clears. As far as I know “Overhang” can be inside or outside the curve, the terminology in model railroading is a bit “fuzzy”.

Maybe, since its on the inside, it would be “underhang”?

Yea, ok, I will go back to my room now.

:frowning:

Yeah! And stand in the corner, eh! Anyway I found one description that calls the action to the inside of the curve “overhang” and outside of the curve “sweep”. As the saying goes “learn something …”

Problem is, I am getting to the point where I am forgetting stuff as fast, or a bit faster, then I am learning stuff.

Track material arrived, time to get back with the program. Pictures to follow when there’s progress.

Now I’m waiting for the correct joiners (from Llagas) and the rail clamps from Split-Jaw. However, plenty of other things to do.

The Padre mentioned running a train. Well it’s getting closer. “It” being the start of point to point running the full length of the line.

Another fine day in Paradise, two more turnouts to motorize.

BTW the paper templates that I glued onto the PVC base are a bit of a pain. They readily dissolve/crumble when applied to plywood, but are well preserved on the PVC i.e. when wetted again by rain/snow/irrigation they are ready to accumulate/retain more dust and debris. Which I now get to scrape off along with the offending paper and glue. GRRRRR.

Hurray, the rail joiners got here. I asked TOC in my cover letter if USPS has a special feature called “Extra Specially Slow”.

A padded envelope mailed First Class on 2014/05/28 from Knoxville, TN arrived on 2014/06/12 at Coldstream BC, once it crossed the border to the GWN it was reclassified as XpressPost.

The weather god’s revenge; rail joiners arrived closely followed by a mega thunderstorm and today it rains big time. C’est la vie! GRRRRR!

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Hurray, the rail joiners got here. I asked TOC in my cover letter if USPS has a special feature called “Extra Specially Slow”.

As far as I can see they certainly do, even if they try to keep it quiet!.

Almost a year ago (17th. June) I received a parcel from the USA. The Aristo model inside the boxes was badly damaged. I think the dealer and I have finally got beyond the stonewalling phase and hopefully before the summer ends a closure might be achieved.

Hans, I know Fed Ex, “When it absolutely, positively, needs to be there…ah, sometime…next week”, has a service where they will be unable to find my house for the entire week before Christmas. This delays the delivery, and presentation of, Christmas presents at my house. But, magically, they will find my house the first business day after Christmas.

I also know a hobby shop (now closed) that once tried to ship a package, UPS ground, to Guam.

David Maynard said:

I also know a hobby shop (now closed) that once tried to ship a package, UPS ground, to Guam.

Really, I guess the lights were out at that place before the store closed.

LMAO. :slight_smile:

Hans, but Bill still does the train shows. He is the one with all the tools. So even though the shop is closed, he still does internet sales, and I don’t know how he ships stuff to Guam these days.