Large Scale Central

Where to get and what size rail for small module

Sorry for probably asking a question that’s been answered a billion times before, but here goes.

I’d like to make a small module to use when shooting photos of say, a completed structure, car, or loco project. Having some track running through/around the place would add a nice touch and the rails/ties/etc should look realistic, i.e. no Aristo or LGB 332 with klutzy ties.

I’m thinking 215 rail or smaller with hand spiked wood? ties. Since nothing will ever roll on this piece of rail wheel flange interference and electrical conductivity aren’t an issue. This is strictly for display purposes.

Yer thoughts, tips, etc?

Go for it. If the goal is for narrow gauge then you’ll have about the right poundage for ng rail.

Hand spiked for sure. With your painting/weathering skills you could use PVC for the ties. Or just cut them from wood. Code 215 should look pretty good. I’d go with nickle sliver, then paint the sides with a dark brown rust. I built a 1 foot car display track for a shelf when I first got into LS. Too small for use as a diorama, but nice way to display a car…

(http://photo.cvsry.com/03Contest-0-640.JPG)

At the time I hadn’t been bitten by the shoestring budget narrow gauge bug, so I used tie plates and lots of spikes :slight_smile:

(http://photo.cvsry.com/03Contest-0-640.JPG)

Nice display Jon…huummm!! :slight_smile:

Jon, I really like the display. Will definitely make one. Did you glue the ballast down, or leave loose?

Jon, that is a fine looking display and I appreciate your sage advice. I notice you’ve got tie plates, which is one way to go. But when I rode the Cumbres and Toltec a few years ago, I noticed that their rail was spiked directly to the ties, which is kinda scary because them K-36s are mighty heavy.

I need to buy a few lengths of rail and maybe a switch (Turnout, if you prefer), but I think I may be making this needlessly complicated. Anyway, something to ponder. Right now I am trying to work myself up for making that diorama for my cabin. I’ve got two sheets of blue insulation, but I hate to ruin them just because I need a one foot square piece of foam.

Hey, did I tell ya we had breakfast at a new place called Gertie’s near the corner of Goodrich and Clarence Center Roads? Excellent, especially the baked fresh daily scones.

@Dave - The ballast is loose. Combination of stone sand and coal dust.

@Joe - Thanks. If I were doing it today I’d not use the tie plates. Most narrow gauge RRs were built on the cheap and tie plates were a luxury :slight_smile:

I can’t remember who it was, but there was a guy either on here or MLS that had about a 5 Sq. Ft. track set up that he could take to interesting locations and shoot his models with great looking real backgrounds. His had very little in the vertical plane except the models he was photographing. He left the background completely to the 1:1 world.

It’s been a long time since I’ve been to WNY. Need to get back there some day :slight_smile:

Jon Radder said:
I can't remember who it was, but there was a guy either on here or MLS that had about a 5 Sq. Ft. track set up that he could take to interesting locations and shoot his models with great looking real backgrounds. His had very little in the vertical plane except the models he was photographing. He left the background completely to the 1:1 world.
Now that's a pretty cool idea. I remember seeing someone do the same thing with car models. I'd have to get some better trains before attempting something like that ;) Ralph

If you’ve read every single model railroading magazine out there, you may know about a mid-western modeler/photographer named Ken Patterson who does all of Walthers and Bachmann’s product photography. A few years ago, now defunct Mainline Modeler ran an article that featured Ken who was showcasing Walthers lift bridge, which he positioned on saw horses out in the boonies behind his house. By incorporating the background scenery into the photo of the bridge, which ran over a faux river, Ken got a very realistic shot of the Walthers kit. These days he does similar things with Bachmann’s locos and stuff, setting them on little track sections, often with artificial trees and other scenery around them. Iin fact, you can see his signature in the lower right-hand corner of Bachmann’s ads. BTW, he is a superb modeler and a fantastic kit-basher, if you’re lucky enough to be in that segment of our hobby (HO) that has kits coming out the proverbial ying-yang. Guess when you’re among the 40-some percent that comprise model railroading, you never want for new products.