Large Scale Central

Where does one get this TrainOps

So I’ve read a bit about this TrainOps thing? Where does one get it? How expensive is it?

If you’d like to be a Beta Tester, just send an email to Bob and he’ll give you a link. No cost to test. $45 to buy a license if you decide to.

Just keep in mind that this is Beta software. We (the testers) are working as hard to break it as Bob is to fix it. Sometimes the bad guy testers seriously outnumber the good guy coder. When that happens we have to wait a few days for a new version to test.

It has promise of being a very nice program for LS Operations. The learning curve is very shallow and it has some nice features.

And right now I’ve got a good list of things that I almost have fixed. I might have a good release later today, fixing Bart’s and HJ’s odd cars-switching-at-the-same-location issue.

Dear All,

We’ve got ringside seats to the birth of a new and useful software program. Cool !

Determination, patience and good humor seem abundant.

Cheers to all, Bob and testers.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Bob McCown said:
And right now I've got a good list of things that I *almost* have fixed. I might have a good release later today, fixing Bart's and HJ's odd cars-switching-at-the-same-location issue.
Hey - I think I own some of that one too. They just saw it first :) Did you see my screen shots over in HJ's Glitches thread? I didn't email you 'cause it looked like the same thing to me.

I am sorry I missed Ric’s Emposium. I look forward to using this software but am wondering if it or what will help me in the logistic planning of my railroad? Do I just need to be able to loop it and add lots of sidings?

John Bible said:
I am sorry I missed Ric's Emposium. I look forward to using this software but am wondering if it or what will help me in the logistic planning of my railroad? Do I just need to be able to loop it and add lots of sidings?
John, first, this is not the program Ric has... This is ""Trainop"", a program that Bob McCown has created for people basically with only one-two operators at a time, who want a freight car forwarding program to work their railroad... Ric's synposium was on ""Railop""...

Planning the railroad takes a bit of time and thought, if your going to do operations… If you want a circle for continuous running, then put it in… An operations style layout, would really involve moving cars with a purpose… For example: have a sawmill on one siding, and a furniture factory on another siding… moving the flatcars with lumber to the furniture factory has a purpose… the furniture factory would need boxcars to haul out the finished product… Then, the boxcars need to go a yard, to be classified for movement to it’s destination… You could add a logging train, to haul logs into the sawmill…

Think of what you would enjoy doing with your railroad, then work out a plan…

John,

I think we are going to have a discussion on “Basic Operations” about this at the February GGRC Winter Meet.