Large Scale Central

What's wrong with my math?

Yes, Mike, +1. Your points about living with inflation and within what you need vs what you want vs what you can afford are well taken, but $11/foot for brass track? OK, OK, knock 40% off the MSRP, and it is a more comfortable $6.50/foot. Even so, that will make for a pretty steep entry-level layout for the average guy when a loco, a few cars, etc. etc. are added.

Anyone know if the price of HO brass rail has risen concomitantly?

…just a note to bring some up-to-date…

In the smaller scales, few use brass track today. Most use what is described as Nickle Silver rail.

…and to be picky…the rail is what we are describing…“Track” is what the combination of ties and rail, together is called.

Another observation…

How come, so many people seem to have no problem finding the funds, to acquire a dozen or more locomotives, and only a few cars…then bitch and complain about the cost of track.?

I’m not in any way suggesting that “Collecting” locomotives, is a bad thing. I do respect that everyone is free to enjoy the hobby in whatever way they choose.

The cheaper price that you mention , Art , is about the same price as the manufacturer of Peco track recommends in the UK for bulk buy (6x3ft lengths for £68 equals approx £4 per foot , or about $6)

It would seem then that the claim of overpricing that you suffer is valid ; I can only reiterate my advice to shop around , there should be some dealers who can see the sense of a lower start-up price .

Keep an eye open for starter sets on offer , the sum total of value of goods contained can be quite good .

Mike

Fred and all, I have also dealt with local hobby shops that have turned me off. One, where I got many good deals on large scale, understood the need to turn his inventory. But he did all he could do to talk me out of the “expense” of metal wheels and KaDee couplers. Needless to say, I purchased those items elsewhere.

I visit another LHS that has had an LGB boxcar on the shelf for so long, that the price tag has faded. He thinks, because LGB is in and out of business so much, that his stock is worth more then its weight in some precious metal or something. I purchased the same boxcar elsewhere, for less then half of what he was asking.

Another (now defunct) hobby shop, ordered metal wheels for me. She had some at a price I liked, and I wanted more. When the order came in, she called to tell me my order was in, but neglected to tell me that the price had doubled. I paid for what I ordered and never went back for anything else. If she had told me on the phone that the price had gone up, I would have understood, but the be shocked at the cash register was a bit much for me.

Another shop I frequent, does not carry magazines. He claims that they aren’t worth the hassle, and they are like inviting competition into his store. He feels that way because of the advertizements in the magazines for mail order and online vendors.

Its easy to sit back and complain about so n so and how they run their business. But I am in the business of customer service too. And when I, as the customer, do not feel I am getting the service I deserve, I just do not go back. There are a few businesses in my area where I will not shop. Hobby shops, gas stations, and even one Walmart. Its a shame that so many businesses don’t realize that without us customers, they do not have a business.

Back to track. I was hopeful that Bachmann would be selling their track at a significantly lower cost then what was available. But I guess, they figure that if they can get what the going rate is, then why not? Between Piko, Bachmann, USA, H&R, LGB, Polks and others, and the used market, deals can be had if one shops around enough. I am glad that presently I do not need anymore track.

If one can’t afford the hobbies one chose some time ago, then it’s time to switch hobbies. Nope, doesn’t matter which hobby it is.

A long time ago (no kidding!) a friend of mine had an epiphany regarding hobbies: “Isn’t it funny how life works; when you have money you lack the time and when you have time you lack the money.”

BTW I have a feeling as we get older it will get worse i.e. we’ll be running out of the time we once had, never mind the money.

As always strictly my opinion.

Time, money, motivation. I never seam to have all 3 at the same time.

To answer Fred who asked: “How come, so many people seem to have no problem finding the funds, to acquire a dozen or more locomotives, and only a few cars…then bitch and complain about the cost of track?” and to add onto the thread Todd just started about needing another loco:

I’ll bet most of you at one time or another has said of your friend’s loco or that one on display in a hobby shop or at a show: “That loco is really cool! I just have to have one!” How many of you have said the same about track? How “cool” is track compared to a slick USAT SD-70MAC in heritage livery?

Yeah, that loco has to run on track, so we NEED track, we don’t necessarily need another loco. Am I right?

Art Sylvester said:

I’ll bet most of you at one time or another has said of your friend’s loco or that one on display in a hobby shop or at a show: “That loco is really cool! I just have to have one!” How many of you have said the same about track? How “cool” is track compared to a slick USAT SD-70MAC in heritage livery?

Yeah, that loco has to run on track, so we NEED track, we don’t necessarily need another loco. Am I right?

Haven’t done that for the last thirty years, no impulse purchases. It has to fit the era and the particular line of my favourite railway. If it doesn’t it stays on the dealers shelf.

BTW that kind of peculiar attitude is frowned upon by the dealers, since they have/had all kinds of neat stuff that would fit the railway, but not the era and the specific line. But I’m reasonably certain that the rest of the gang will keep the dealers/mfgs in business. That’s a good thing!

Art, yes a Climax or Shay or Forney are cute and cool. Track is just, well, track.