Large Scale Central

What's the points?

The other day I picked up a Piko curved turnout with the idea of using it in the lead to my small goods (freight) yard. Well, it would have fit … except that the yard would have been almost all turnout; I didn’t realize just how large that beastie is.
Happily, I found a place for it instead in a curve on the main line oval, allowing me to lengthen the passing loop in the station. It did mean that part of the curve is now 4’ radius rather than 5’, but since I use 0-4-0s and short rolling stock, this isn’t going to cause much trouble :wink:

Anyway, I’ve spent a happy, just-right summer day (our heat wave has broken) cutting and fitting and installing, and then testing with my old faithful blue Stainz for several hours :smiley:

The Piko turnout is a nice bit of kit and well put together; it appears that Piko does know something about quality control. I did wonder about a plastic frog almost 4 inches long, but there are metal strips in the floor of the frog that feed power to the wheel flanges, so the Stainz stuttered less here than on the Aristo X-wide turnouts. So far I am impressed; we shall wait, of course, to see how it survives our climate.

As for the goods yard, it’s back to the old thinking cap …