Large Scale Central

What's the best way to remove decals?

I applied water slide decals to my loco a number of years ago and I would like to remove them and apply different decals. What’s the best way to remove decals?

Thanks

timmyd DeHan said:

I applied water slide decals to my loco a number of years ago and I would like to remove them and apply different decals. What’s the best way to remove decals?

That would depend on what you applied over the decals to seal them. If you didn’t do that, then Micro-set or 91% Isopropyl Alcohol should work quite easily.

I did apply a clear coat over them to seal them.

An overnight soak in water with a bit of dish-soap might work, depending on how well you sealed them. If you sealed them well, then you may have to lightly sand through the sealer to expose the decal, or remove the sealer with some solution.

David Maynard said:

An overnight soak in water with a bit of dish-soap might work, depending on how well you sealed them. If you sealed them well, then you may have to lightly sand through the sealer to expose the decal, or remove the sealer with some solution.

Not sure how I would soak the engine overnight. I’ve tried nail polish remover and also denatured alcohol. Nothing is removing the decals. I did spray a clear coat over the decals after I applied them as I mentioned. Perhaps I can spray paint over them?

Physical removal … sand with a fine wet or dry sand paper on a sanding block so you can get a flat surface. Go slow with finer grits say 1200

I agree with John, if you paint over, the “bump” of the original decals will show through the paint.

The hint of an old number under the paint is very typical in the real world. many locos on the C&TSRR at one time had many layers of #s on their cab sides, same # yes, but evidence of repainting with slightly different position or size, you bet. it is up to you to decide what will look the best. maybe before sanding down, you might give it a fresh coat of paint in the area where the decal is.

Just reinforces that there is a prototype for everything! Thanks Al!

The WM F units I rode behind down in Elkins West Virginia had been in a whole nother livery at one time. The raised outline of that livery was clearly visible under the current layer of paint.

Polly S Easy Lift Off (ELO) works well to remove decals.