Large Scale Central

What I've been up to lately

I’ve set aside my model of the Grizzly Bar saloon, and started work on a new building for the Mineral Ridge mine and mill. This will be the power house. It will eventually contain a diesel-powered generator, an air compressor for the mine, and possibly a blacksmith’s shop.

The major components (walls, roof, etc) are made from 6mm Sintra:

This is the main room. There will be a smaller room added on one side. The floor is 3mm Sintra, and won’t be glued in until after I get the roof installed:

The smaller room was also made with 6mm Sintra. I use these steel machinist’s blocks to keep everything square:

Here, I’ve started adding the roof:

There are openings on the rear of each room, for access to the interior. The rear walls will be removable:

This is where the structure will sit on the layout:

Fitting the roof of the side room into the roof of the larger room was a bit tricky. I used scraps of Sintra and some Dynaflex 230 paintable sealant to fill the gaps:

Another shot of the structure temporarily placed on the layout:

The smaller room will only have one window, located close to the cliff, so there is no need to detail the interior there. But the large room has multiple windows, making the interior fairly visible. The interior is built as a separate model that slides into the rear of the building. Because the exterior will be clad with corrugated metal, for the interior I am simulating the appearance of a a wood-framed structure. The interior walls are scribed to give it a little bit of a corrugated look. The framework is built up out of strips of styrene:

That’s all for now. Enjoy!

Nice! Can’t wait to see more!

A little more progress on the power house…

I made the ceiling for the interior. It is detailed with rafters, and will be attached with screws so that I can remove it to access the interior:

I also adding some frame detail to the inside of the front wall. This detail had to be carefully placed so it would line up with the removable interior:

These shots through the side window shows how it all comes together:

Next I started on the corrugated metal exterior. I had previously used real, galvanized, corrugated steel from Rainbow Ridge on my Assay Office building, and considered using it again on this one. But this building has more windows and also many more angles and joins, and the steel is difficult to cut or bend. So I went back to making my own corrugated metal out of .001" thick shim brass sheet. This comes in a 6" wide roll, and I cut into 4" x 6" sheets. I heat the sheets of brass with a plumber’s torch to anneal them. Then I place each sheet between two pieces of the corrugated steel, and scribe the groove using a dull pencil:

I start at one end, and scribe a short section at a time until I’ve gone more the half the length of the piece. Then I turn it around and start scribing the other end, and meet in the middle. Next I flip it over and scribe the other side. When it’s done, I trim off that piece (about 1" wide), remove it, place the remaining brass in between the steel, and start over on the next piece. Tedious, but eventually I get it all done. The pieces of corrugated brass are then sprayed with oven cleaner to wash any residue off. After rinsing with water they are set out to dry.

I glue the corrugated metal to the structure using Dynaflex 230 paintable sealant. At this time I have completed covering the exterior walls and have just started on the roof:

There is no need to apply metal to the rear walls, since they will be up against the cliff and not visible. In this photo the rear walls have been removed:

Here are a couple shots showing how it will look on the layout:

That’s all for now.

Looking good Ray.

Ray: I love your builds. They are a lot of work to create, but they sure help us newbies to learn effective techniques. Keep up the great work. This building looks like another fantastic addition.

i think i found out, what makes your buildings so extraordinary. it is not alone your skills, but your seemingly endless patience!

Korm Kormsen said:

i think i found out, what makes your buildings so extraordinary. it is not alone your skills, but your seemingly endless patience!

That, and his buildings ARE extraordinary.

Korm Kormsen said:

Oh, and don’t even think to contrast his straight cuts with my not so straight efforts.

I need to learn how to make his such neat cuts…

Extraordinary, as usual. Thanks for posting! Patience for detail modeling is something I’ve been short of lately.

Bruce Chandler said:

Korm Kormsen said:

Oh, and don’t even think to contrast his straight cuts with my not so straight efforts.

I recognize those columns. That remind me, I never did finish that darn building.

David Maynard said:

Bruce Chandler said:

Korm Kormsen said:

I recognize those columns. That remind me, I never did finish that darn building.

Cool. Thanks SO much for NOT bringing up my cuts compared to Ray’s. Wow…I am just amazed at a LOT of the modelers here.

Wait?

Are we thread jacking on page 2 now?

I know you guys are getting old but dang!

If we are jacking on page 2 even though I thought the RULE used to be page 3?

This post has been edited by: ROOSTER because I can

Sweet I’m in!

Great work, as usual, Ray. I guess you have a good advantage as you have seem these type of structures on your well documented travels.

It’s such a pleasure to see what you’re doing on the layout, Ray. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I’m still having trouble believing you penciled every depression in your corrugated tin!

I used to dread such repetition at work, it’s hard to fathom you taking it on for fun!

Then again;

It’s the artisan in you that demands those details.

Fantastic.

I finally finished creating and installing the corrugated metal. Here’s how it looks with all the metal in place:

This overhead shot shows how closely the building fits against the cliff:

Soon I can begin painting it. But first I have to do some work on the doors and windows.

The diesel generator would likely be the dominating sound but I wonder what such a building would sound like in a heavy downpour. Have been in metal roofed buildings but never in a fully metal roofed and sided building.

Though you have to have said on another thread I don’t remember what paint works best on the brass in that environment.

I use self-etching primer, and then to give it an authentic galvanized iron look, I put on a couple coats of Rustoleum’s “Cold Galvanizing Compound”. Do NOT use any kind of clear coat over this.

Ray

You might have to model some dents in the roof, being so close to the wall …(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Looks really good Ray! Here you got more details on the mine track? Gn15?