Large Scale Central

What is this please.

This interesting model has just been converted to battery R/C.
Going by the header tank on the radiator, I think it is a model of something built by Clayton, Lincoln, England for the trenches during WW1.
I have no idea of the scale but the door at the back measures 92 mm (3.5").
45 mm gauge, it looks 7/8th..ish.
High quality instrument motor driving a worm and worm gear. Then via chain to each axle.  Creeps along on 14.8 volts.
I believe it was made by the Model Company in New Zealand.
An installation thread has been started separately.

Tony, I think you’re right about the prototype:

That’s from the Wikipedia article on trench railroads of WWI. I’ve never seen a picture of one before… the tin turtle is the trench loco we’re probably all most familiar with.

Interesting prototype. Offhand, I’d say they did a good job on the model.

Later,

K

VERY nice model !!!

“the door at the back measures 92 mm (3.5”)."

So at 1:20.3 - slightly under 6 foot

at 1:22.5 - 6 ft 6 in.

1:29 - more than 8 ft.

Very cool model, Tony! Thanks for sharing.

I’m thinking a 1:20.3 model.

I forgot to add…it’s nice to see the holes already drilled for ditch lights

" Rooster " said:

I forgot to add…it’s nice to see the holes already drilled for ditch lights

LOL!

And no one has yet to splain to me why the heck the railroads want to light up the ditches. Usually the only things in the ditches are puddles, litter and drunks.

David Maynard said:

And no one has yet to splain to me why the heck the railroads want to light up the ditches. Usually the only things in the ditches are puddles, litter and drunks.

I stole an ambulance when I was 15 and ran it off into a ditch on the other side of the Colorado/Kansas border. So there you go, that’s something a railroad would want to see???

Well at least it didn’t take anytime at all for the ambulance to arrive at the scene of the accident. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Thanks Ric.

It has since been determined to be a 16 mm scale (1;19) model.

Close to 1:20.3

It went back to the owner this afternoon. I suppose this was around installation # 12 I have done for him. He collects lots of odd ball brass stuff and I am lucky enough to get to see and handle it. Helps me workout to do other oddball loco installations. The only request is I don’t drill holes in external bodywork.

Interesting little thing. Had to play in Google to find out more.
Description A pair of 40 horsepower petrol-electric tractors at Minico Yards, the headquarters of the 17th Australian Light Railway Operating Company. At the time the third battle of Ypres was raging.
The tractors shown were manufactured by Dick Kerr and Company, who supplied 100 petrol-electric locomotives for the War Department Light Railways. Similar but slightly more powerful models were made by British Westinghouse. These tractors mounted a four cylinder petrol engine which supplied power to a 30 kilowatt generator. This generator supplied current at 500 volts to two electric motors. As the petrol engines were hard to turn by hand for starting, another tractor’s generator was often used as a starter motor for the petrol engine. This photograph probably shows that process in action.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C01361/

David Maynard said:

Increased visibility, the addition of ditch lights is meant to increase the visibility of the locomotive to pedestrians and drivers, not for the engineer. Ditch lights can alternate on/off/on/off which apparently is more noticable.

Vic, that there is the theory. But when a driver is smoking a cigarette, talking on the cell phone, and trying to remember where they are going, and what they want to do when they get there, AND trying to get there as fast as possible, they don’t notice little things like trains.

I think those trench locomotives were really cool. Sort of like a park train on steroids. That’s something the ride on guys could build and maybe even ride in.

Is that housing on the front just to protect the radiator, or is there something additional inside?

Cool loco

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Is that housing on the front just to protect the radiator, or is there something additional inside?

Cool loco

Greg

Just a guess, transmission cooler? Early dynamic brake?

My guess is that it is armor, a radiator is a pretty fragile mess of soft copper, and in a combat area, it wouldn’t take very much to stop the whole train with a small puncture from a gun or shrapnel. It appears that the whole thing, including the cab is built the same way, protected from casual damage. The added weight would only increase the tractive power.

I thought ditch lights were there for modeling interest; to give us one more do dad to add. No Vic’s theory is the one I have been told. Not sure really the practicality of it unless the alternate flashing. If you come to RR tracks at night and there are two very bright lights shining in your face its probably a train. But none the less that is the story I was told. And my diesel prototype has them on all three locos and uses them religiously and they only have but just a couple crossings. I am not complaining I like the looks

Actually after reviewing my latest GR magazine …this model has a striking resemblance to a Round House production model.

OK ditching the lights and getting back to the original question the only thing I can find is in the third photo down

http://wrightscaleworks.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/but-is-it-art.html

Mick