Large Scale Central

What if...possible new layout idea. John Allen's G&D in large sc

OK this is just may be little more than a pipe dream but awhile ago I got to trying to see if I could adapt John Allen’s famous (infamous?) 1st Gorre & Dephitid to an outdoor layout, namely MY outdoor layout, specifically MY available outdoor area…[;)]

After a few attempts, then a few variations I came up with the attached PDF drawing. This is my take on the G&D stuffed into what will likley be a +/- 15’ x 22’ area for my outdoor layout. This is all wildly specuative at this point and I have NO idea what the missus might think but I like to plan ahead, so to speak[;)][;)]

The layout will still be mostly rock garden with some desert succulents and such…no cactus as the dog tends to disagree with them[:0]. The way it lays I figure I should have enough room to grade it to give myself a minimum 9" vertical clearance at the bridgess with the highest point, Snafu, being only about 20 inches higher than the lowest point, Borracho. After all it is a mining layout, so a few steeper grades wont look out of place[:0][:0][:0]

Its basically an over under with a spur to Snafu. It will have 5 foot min. dia mainline curves, with 6.5’ and some 8’ curves (remember all my lokies are smallun’s)and use built up stone walls as support. I like rocky cliff-hanging railroads with spindly precarious trestles so steep sidewalls to me are a plus… The tunnels are a might bit longer than I would care for for access but I figure if I ever actually get to start building it I can work it out. There is also the possibility of running a connector track along the fence line and entering the workshop/storage area via along the rear property fence. We’ll see. Its still along time from now till the house is done but I was curious what others might think of it. [:D]

Any glaring problems I’ve overlooked?
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/vsmith//What%20if%20study%20for%20future.pdf
Thanks Vic[8D]

Vic,

I replied on “the other site”, but here I’ll give you a link to the G&D Yahoo Group.

[email protected]

You’ll enjoy it, if you are not already a member. I just read in Daily Digest form.