Large Scale Central

What happened?

An attempt from flickr:

Mists below Half Dome

That seemed to work. I went to the photo, clicked on the share button, and then went to the embed tab and copied the text, pasting it into the post editor.

btw: a number of us have uploaded directly from our computer/phone without losing the image.

1 Like

Actually, similar has happened with me, a couple times, and right noiw at 02:52 in the morning while having painsomnia I forget exactly where it happened but feel a strong compulsion to say it was with Google Plus. Not always, but 2 or 3 times for sure.

Was an aggrivating curiosity.

give this a whirl. Tried ‘copy link’ on Flickr…

Imgur

1 Like

FYI, here’s a quora question/answer that seems relevant here.

That answer goes on to tell you to never trust a website that asks you to download something, as that can lead to malware on your computer.

However, the LSC site is specifically forbidden from deleting files on your hard drive. Imagine the chaos if some bad actor was able to delete whatever files they wanted on your computer just from visiting their page. Madness that way lies.

I just got done posting a tutorial on picture posting. I used one of two methods for adding photos directly from my computer and one where I did it from my phone. The first is to use the file upload button (the rectangle with the up arrow at the top of the editing box) the second was the drag and drop method. And then the file upload button with my phone.

All three ways, the file is still on my device.

I think that may be a little different from what we’re talking about.
My suspicion is that a ‘copy the picture file to the website’ command got read as a ‘move the picture file to the website’ command.

Well, but afaik there is no move command. You can only upload, which always copies.

I can imagine something else happening near the same time as the upload, but the upload itself will not cause the file to be deleted. I will stake my 40 years of software experience on it.

1 Like

Korm,

You forgot Amtrash “back in the day in the hood” …does that make 20 characters and who are these characters?

Well I I’m gonna blow my post edits for the month and it’s already the 1st!

“Just blowing off a little steam” …you could add that " back of in the day in the hood" then you are definitely over 20 characters.

Just saying

2 Likes

Forgot to add that Hanover Junction is a VERY huge part of American History.

1 Like

but there is the other alternative, drag n drop.
if one holds a right click on a pic and shoves it to the reply box, one gets asked if to copy or to move the pic there.
(believe me, i am an expert at “finding” failures at the software - user interface)

did you look up the smilies yet?
they included one for you:

:rooster:

3 Likes

ok, well, I have a mac and the only drag/drop action I can do is to just drop into the post text editor which then uploads it and leaves the original where it came from (as in the above image, which was "drop"ed here).

and a right click (on the mac that is a control-click) just brings up a menu, so I can’t drag/drop the image that way.

so I’m confused

i’ll try to delete a pic the described way:

164750_slice_0

no, i was wrong. the pic is still where it was on my PC.

edit: that proves again, to never trust, when you hear: “believe me, …”

HAhaHHHAAA!!

Dang, that wasn’t long enough…

HaHAaHH cough HAAAA!!!

1 Like

Thanks for trying it out, Forest. One possible method ruled out.

Maybe I’m speaking heretically, but I’m much more willing to take evidence than I am belief :slight_smile:

So, I’m still searching for a repeatable method of having the browser delete your picture off your computer.

IMHO it is not possible.

Now it is possible to accidentally delete the photo while messing around with it near the act of drag/drop/upload to LSC. But LSC itself just doesn’t have the capability of doing it.

OK, I’ll drop it now…

2 Likes

try a repeat…

Went from ‘full screen’ here to ‘smaller window’ (whatever the technical term is)

That opened up screen space on my computer.

Went and opened the relevant picture directory.

Clicked on a pic and dragged it back to this screen.

now…that time, the pic stayed on my computer.

At this point, I am starting to wonder…the ‘new’ computer is actually a refurbished older machine with some programs and files salvaged from the old beast. Maybe it’s not fully in sync…

well, it worked for the pic from Flickr. Maybe it’ll work with a vid…

Imgur

1 Like

for me a pic of a ship is visible.
clicking on it i got sent to flickr, where i could see the video.

1 Like

Korm - Yep, a pic of a ship which is the link to my Flickr vid.

Gotta give this one more thought…