Large Scale Central

What does this switch do?

I have chickens. Can you imagine what chicken poop will scale up to? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

When you see a detailer . . . look to the ties between the rails, . . . if they have been pretty “chewed up” . . . it was from the wheels of the car bouncing on them before bringing the derailed car to a stop. I saw a box car do it once. Really bounced up and down before stopping.

if you want to see one of these switches in action go on you tube and type in great central railway derailment ,

its a preserved steam line in england,

fair to say its a bit of an oops moment

but will highlight how they work very well,

Yes from 0:57 to 1:15 … pretty much looks like one of those switches… oops!

greg

Engineer friend says they are also used a lot on private and industrial spurs where the owners shift their own cars. As stated above it protects the mainline from goof ups.

T

DAVE BLURTON said:

if you want to see one of these switches in action go on you tube and type in great central railway derailment ,

its a preserved steam line in england,

fair to say its a bit of an oops moment

but will highlight how they work very well,

Oops! That tender did a few really good bounces doing that. I’ll bet the engineer wanted to disappear out of embarrassment.

David,

This is the one you mentioned…

I remember seeing that one a few months ago. Ooops!

Well… the derailer works…

What does this switch do?

And, that’s what that switch does…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

from what i gather is the signal man failed to change the point to allow the train from the siding onto the mainline

he then could not change the signal from danger to proceed which had halted the train , this is due to the interlocking system so,

point first, then, signal/catchpoints, the catch points operate open when signal is at danger to protect the main line

the driver pulled away as he got the all clear verbally from the signalman from the box opposite and had permission to pass the signal at danger

the signal man forgot about the point so could not change the signal so gave permission to pass as i assume he thought the signal was faulty

trouble was it wasnt so the catchpoint was still open with the resulting derailment

the loco was slightly damaged but re-railed and back in service soon after, the great central railway is unique in having 8 miles of double track

main line and can operate certain trains up to 60 mph rather than the standard 25mph

DAVE BLURTON said:

from what i gather is the signal man failed to change the point to allow the train from the siding onto the mainline

he then could not change the signal from danger to proceed which had halted the train , this is due to the interlocking system so,

point first, then, signal/catchpoints, the catch points operate open when signal is at danger to protect the main line

the driver pulled away as he got the all clear verbally from the signalman from the box opposite and had permission to pass the signal at danger

the signal man forgot about the point so could not change the signal so gave permission to pass as i assume he thought the signal was faulty

trouble was it wasnt so the catchpoint was still open with the resulting derailment

the loco was slightly damaged but re-railed and back in service soon after, the great central railway is unique in having 8 miles of double track

main line and can operate certain trains up to 60 mph rather than the standard 25mph

Sounds like the right scenario . . . . a big OOOOOPS . . .