Large Scale Central

Westward expansion & cheap batteries

The C&A Ry is pushing westward, laying track out to the mountains. The new outer loop expansion adds about 100 feet to the outer mainline. It loops back on itself through two tunnels and a stone bridge. It will be utilizing 10 foot diameter curves, 2.5% grades with painted Aristo stainless. There will also be new sidings for a logging camp and coal mine.

This tunnel already has its portals installed. The were made from cut pieces of slate mounted to hardibacker board.

While working, I had the Dunkirk out for a run pulling a load of coal.

It was breaking in a new battery for its trailer car RC system (RCS Basic 2 system). The battery is a 14.4v, 3.6Ah, subC NiMH pack designed for the Roomba Robot floor cleaner.

I purchased it for $37 with free shipping from - http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=279 . After almost 5 hours of running non stop, the Dunkirk showed no signs of slowing down. -Brian

Looks great but the orange thing in the background doesn’t look a durkin!

Sean McGillicuddy said:
Looks great but the orange thing in the background doesn't look a durkin!
gotta be the cleanest tractor I've ever seen....well, besides my fathter in laws Bobcat with it's "Amour All'ed" tires.........

looks good Brian, nice portal!

The reason the Kubota is so clean it hasn’t seen any real action since the snow storms of the winter. Sloshing around in all the white stuff clearing driveways makes it clean and purty! All my work this spring has been in small backyards with lots of hand digging

The only work the ‘bota’s been doing is hauling rock and dirt from one side of the yard to the other for the railroad. It’s just waiting for a real job to strap on the backhoe and do some muddin’. -Brian