Large Scale Central

We're Off

(Yes, you’ve been off for years. As the English joke goes.) I would title this Ann & Pete’s Great Adventure 2019, but that’s been taken. Anyway, we leave tomorrow for an 8-10 week trip to Canada by boat, via the Hudson, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, the St Lawrence Seaway, and then the Richelieu and Champlain Canals via Lafe Champlain back to Albany and then down the Eastern Seaboard to home in Maryland. It’s officially known as the “Little Loop” or the “Canadian Loop”.

No trains on board, and few places where there are trains close to the waterways. In Rome, NY, where we are supposed to spend July 4th, there is a place across the street called CRC Raceway, which seems to do r/c car racing but has a Hobby Store full of r/c car parts and stuff. Time to get a new driveshaft for the railtruck with universals, or a bevel gear drive. We’ll see.

Anyway, access to LSC will be sporadic, so don’t leave too many nastygrams for me.

Pete, Hope it’s as exciting as it sounds! I’d like to do that one day too!

Jason

Jason V. said:

Pete, Hope it’s as exciting as it sounds! I’d like to do that one day too!

Jason

Let’s hope it’s not at all exciting! Interesting, pretty to look at, but boring.

Pete;

You will be missing a true gem…and an opportunity to visit Canada’s National Capitol, on “THE RIDEAU CANAL”.

You could also join in, while in OTTAWA, Ontario, Canada, and take part in operations on the Ironwood, Peter’s Pond, and Western Railroad.

You would be most welcome.

Fred Mills

Pete,

Sounds like a great trip!

Pete,

Look for a private message.

Or contact me at Ricgolding at yahoo dot com.

Fred Mills. said:

Pete;

You will be missing a true gem…and an opportunity to visit Canada’s National Capitol, on “THE RIDEAU CANAL”.

You could also join in, while in OTTAWA, Ontario, Canada, and take part in operations on the Ironwood, Peter’s Pond, and Western Railroad.

You would be most welcome.

Fred Mills

Fred, you are probably right, but there are another 47 locks on the Rideau and we only have a finite time to do this. Maybe next time.

Bon voyage!

Pete,

If you are in the Lyons or Clyde, New York area of the Erie Canal, you are very close to the Finger Lakes Live Steamers. We would enjoy seeing you guys and offer vehicle service for shopping, laundry or whatever. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Have a great time Pete. I have friends who have done a similar trip, but staying in the states and returning South further West, maybe on the Mississippi? Anyway, listening to their tales and looking at their wonderful pictures I was amazed at how much of the country is accessible by inland waterways. They spent 4 or 5 summers doing this, then sold the boat.