Large Scale Central

Weatherproofing wooden trestles

Hi All,
What’s the group’s experience with various methods of weatherproofing wood. I’d prefer to avoid paint.
I’ve heard of everything from used motor oil to polyurethane

I did a quick search of the forum and couldn’t find anything on this, feel free to send me to another thread if this topic’s been dealt with.

Used motor oil works very well, but it is known to cause cancer and may draw the ire of “greenies”.
For my Redwood and Cedar projects I just use Thompsons Water Seal.
Ralph

http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=7806

Personally, in the PNW, I found the LAST thing I wanted to use was Thompson’s.
Behr’s is far better at (a) protecting, (b) staying put and even sometimes © cheaper.

NEVER seal it before assembly if you plan on any adhesive.

My 27’ long, 4+ foot high curved trestle has been in use for 15 years or so.

TOC

Curmudgeon said:
Personally, in the PNW, I found the LAST thing I wanted to use was Thompson's. Behr's is far better at (a) protecting, (b) staying put and even sometimes (c) cheaper.

NEVER seal it before assembly if you plan on any adhesive.

My 27’ long, 4+ foot high curved trestle has been in use for 15 years or so.

TOC

I also use Behr as well as Thompsons. I have even used a store brand with satisfactory results. Behr may very well work better. I usually reseal my stuff every couple of years so I have not had any problems even with the cheap store brand.

I dipped the bents in a wood preservative I got from the woodworkers shop. Let them soak for awhile. Also built the bents out of Ipe wood.

Here in the semi-arid west central Texas area I use Jasco Termin-Brown as a preservative sealer and insecticide for those pesky desert termites and carpenter ants that have a way showing up each spring… It gives the cedar or PTL a nice weathered creasote gray brown look, and shows the grain nicely. Available at HD or Lowes around here…

and a good dose of a heavy duty insecticide if visually detected!! Viper water soluble packets in a 3 gallon sprayer to be exact…

Mark

I’m impressed and surprised by curmudgeon’s results/success. I have to take my trestles out every other year and re-glue, re-stain, etc. to keep them from falling apart.