Large Scale Central

We need to fill the void

when i am looking up the new posts, i get the strong impression, that we need something to fill the “summerhole”.
all those “could be”, “would be”, “should be” posts about just one (mind - not the first and probably not the last) company, that goes broke, are not, what i need/want a forum for.

maybe, besides the january-competition, we need a second modelling competition each year?
just, that we can read and write more about our hobby, instead of the never ending “may-bees” about economics?

We could start a dcc vs r/c vs track power war.

I’d like to hear about more projects, people needing help, or people that have found good answers/solutions to problems.

Greg

I thhink its cause during nice weather we’re mostly outside ‘Doing’ and during the colder yuckky months we’re inside plotting, planning, and building stuff…

Part of the thing about the ‘summer doldrums’ is that its summer, and most folks are actually outside doing things instead of being holed up inside by rain or snow. so its a little tough to get people to do things like a project when they can be outside running.

Actually here in the southwest summer is usually our ‘winter’ because its just too dam hot to do anything outside, 90F here in LA today and nasty humid east of us due to a tropical storm blowing by us. Winter brings rain and cold sure, but New Englanders would hurumph us calling 65F cold.

I’m still getting ready for the narrow gauge convention, didnt get 1/2 what I wanted to do done, too hot, too many conflicts with other priorities.

OR, we could start a new forum and call it something like “Rumors, Speculation and Predictions” for that smaall handful of us who are concerned with that sort of stuff and that the rest of us could avoid like the plague.

Walt

Maybe you should start a website of your own for all the Rumors, Speculation and Predictions and go there to inform each other of how it is

We could. But, of all the threads on this and other forums…none of the people being bashed started any of them.
Since the folks who start these threads think they have a hot tip, they’d never post in such a forum.

I could start a thread on a BBT drive install in a Bach2-8-0…or a BBT 2-8-0 chassis in an Anniversary.

Or running repairs changing out three split axle gears on a Shay during an ops session.

But why bother?
It would be instantly branded as “bashing”.
BTDT.

On another forum, guy bought a NOS Heisler, wouldn’t work.
All sorts of hairball advice. One went so far as to tell him to remove the trucks. Absolutely no reason for that.

Most likely the polarity switch or the associated wiring, but, hey, what do I know, right?

Why does anyone bother when the wisdom of the masses is that there are no issues and anyone who discusses them is a barbarian?

Let’s see.

Maybe if we discussed floating your 332 brass track in chicken grit at ground level with a big power pack might be acceptable…depending on what motive power you used.

That’s the ticket!

Maybe we could re-create that Clambake video of two trains running…track power, of course…and in the middle of the filming the owner runs over and holds the second locomotive back so it doesn’t take out the caboose of the first train.
Yeah, that’s the ticket.

Nothing that might help folks think. Or fix it themselves.

Can’t have that, now, can we?

It’s really fun dealing with folks on forums who can’t think by themselves. No matter what you point out to them…someone else always does their thinking for them.

I could give you examples…but nobody would understand.

So, we live with the status quo.

TOC

Greg Elmassian said:

I’d like to hear about more projects, people needing help, or people that have found good answers/solutions to problems.

Greg

Greg,

I’ve found you’re website to be one of the most helpful on the net re large scale. I often recommend it to fellow hobbyists.

As far as projects go, I have four different structures for my layout I’m working on, two new, two rebuild/remodels. When I get them completed is anyone’s guess.

Pat

Korm Kormsen said:

when i am looking up the new posts, i get the strong impression, that we need something to fill the “summerhole”.
all those “could be”, “would be”, “should be” posts about just one (mind - not the first and probably not the last) company, that goes broke, are not, what i need/want a forum for.

maybe, besides the january-competition, we need a second modelling competition each year?
just, that we can read and write more about our hobby, instead of the never ending “may-bees” about economics?

Sounds good to me,Any updates on your river scene ?

Curmudgeon mcneely said:

I could give you examples…but nobody would understand.

So, we live with the status quo.

TOC

Don’t cash out on me now…I just might understand?

Try me …I have no hiskhool diploma so what is there to loose?

I do lots of BASHING …but it involves styrene and locomotive parts.

I will add that I did post a couple building threads recently a but only a few responses. On the other forum no one responded, so even though your asking for us to post new stuff, some of us have been doing just that. The only problem is few seam to care.

Vic Smith said:
I do lots of BASHING …but it involves styrene and locomotive parts. I will add that I did post a couple building threads recently a but only a few responses. On the other forum no one responded, so even though your asking for us to post new stuff, some of us have been doing just that. The only problem is few seam to care.

I know you do a lot of BASHING Vic and your stuff looks great even though it ain’t my cup of tea you can only say WOW,Neato,Awesome work saso may times in a thread. But you know that it’s something you built and should be proud of!

I only post on ONE forum myself and by choice as I always will . Whether they like my stuff or not I could care less. LSC has helped me realize what can be done and not what should have been done?

Many care Vic and read what folks like us do …whether they respond or not matters NOT it’s all about the hobby and keeping it alive in creativity.

BTW …You sent me my first virgin Thomas Face …that became Ralphie the Rail Scale!

I returned the favor with first dibs on Chloe …think about that and what LSC has done for the hobby as a crew!

That make sense?

:wink:

Perfect sense Rooster

:slight_smile:

I know not a lot post but alot do read them, so that’s why I’ll keep posting them. I hope it will get someone to try their own razorsaw massacre.

Korm Kormsen said:

Is there a void? Really? OK … another load of stone and dirt will take care of it … sorry, that’s just on our layout in the garden. Now is better than when the snow flies.

And there are the “good times being had” trying to get 'puter stuff to work as intended - my way - because the mfgs in their wisdom dumb down the install routine to make sure any donkey gets it done, automatically … just keep on clicking. (Sheesh, sometimes I wonder who has been learning from whom?)

“You want to do what?” Hehehehe, look for it! Some void that is!

But like many others, I’m firmly convinced that all the hardware and software is “almost perfect” (NOT!), the mfg says so. I’m still talking about 'puters - including the reviews and feedback from users.

Oh BTW about those competitions, I’ll join as soon as I get my projects done.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

After nearly a month spent getting all the stuff from my trip organized and posted on my website, and in between dealing with a lot of “real life” issues… I’m finally starting to get back into some work on the RR! Just in time too, since I’m on the NNGC layout tour.

Nothing major getting done, mostly some maintenance on the scenery. I’ve pulled out the remnants of some early version scale plants that didn’t hold up as well as the later stuff does. And I’ve been installing a boat-load of new plants that I made last summer. A few are used to replace the old, damaged stuff, but most is being used to spread foliage into previously barren areas.

I had hoped to have at least one more building done by now but there’s just been too much other stuff going on the past few months. But I did get three cars of the passenger train done, so that’s pretty good. I still have one more to go but it’ll have to wait until after the tour. Same with converting the RS3 to battery power.

Is it simply odd or a natural human trait that those who have no interest in an INTERESTING subject on our hobby’s direction, say they have no interest at all in a thread and yet complain about the thread content. To complain then one assumes that they read or as usual attempted to read the thread and most likely could not understand the nuances involved. They prefer to simply plug in their ultra reliable, never fail trains and run them until the cows come home. More like people who watch ‘R’ rated movies just to complain about the violence or obscene language used!!!.

For me, the hobby is more than running trains and ponies and cuddly puppies, although collecting ponies and cuddly puppies does seem to have a mellowing, maybe hypnotic dulling effect on the senses given the calibre of the simple one liner or emoticon responses to threads requiring a modicum of intelligence to understand them.

For me, I have in the past few weeks ‘bashed’ several articulated LGB locomotives and extended basic LGB starter set coaches to get more the style of Euro coach that I prefer. Of cause the forum of old had a simple easy to upload attachment system that made it a pleasure to use. The software advances in the forum update killed it for me as regards commencing build threads. The uploads seem hit or miss. I upload the image to my freight shed and then when I attempt to retrieve the image from the freight shed for a thread response, the image is not there. Just going to the freight shed to view an image the uploaded image is present (but not when loading the freight shed from a thread posting response).

I’ve gotten to the point where i just build models and don’t worry too much about taking photos of the progress. Perhaps it’s because–for whatever reason–when I do post photos of my projects, they don’t seem to generate much in the way of actual discussion (though I do greatly appreciate the “attaboys”), but also, I’m just a bit burnt out on the whole builder’s log thing, and would rather just work on a project as the mood strikes.

Currently, I’ve got B’mann Climax and B’mann 45-tonner kitbashes awaiting the mood to strike to finish the last details and finish the paint and weathering on them. I’m also “upscaling” a B’mann 4-6-0 to 1:20 for a gentleman in California, and detailing an EBT caboose for a gentleman in PA. I’ve also got three “Goose” projects in various stages of completion awaiting me finding just the right shade of green paint.

I’ve got an open house in three weeks, so I spent the day cutting lumber to rebuild the boardwalks in front of two of my passenger depots, as well as ties for a switch I’m getting ready to build off of one of my reverse loops for a new 3-car storage siding. (Being on a curve, I can’t use a commercial switch. I did order a new #6 switch for a second spur elsewhere on the railroad.) I’ve also got to finish renovating the Shade Gap depot, whose east wall collapsed last winter.

So, lots of stuff to fill my free time, just no photos of the progress. Maybe of the finished products…

Later,

K

Tim Brien said:

Is it simply odd or a natural human trait that those who have no interest in an INTERESTING subject on our hobby’s direction, say they have no interest at all in a thread and yet complain about the thread content. To complain then one assumes that they read or as usual attempted to read the thread and most likely could not understand the nuances involved. They prefer to simply plug in their ultra reliable, never fail trains and run them until the cows come home. More like people who watch ‘R’ rated movies just to complain about the violence or obscene language used!!!.

For me, the hobby is more than running trains and ponies and cuddly puppies, although collecting ponies and cuddly puppies does seem to have a mellowing, maybe hypnotic dulling effect on the senses given the calibre of the simple one liner or emoticon responses to threads requiring a modicum of intelligence to understand them.

I don’t think it’s fair to denigrate the intellect of those who don’t happen to find a particular thread interesting or relevant just because a small, select group does.

The hobby will survive despite the best efforts of the dreaded Polks or the dunderheads that caused LGB to fail. As long as there’s a market for the product the void will be filled. It’s pointless to speculate on what might or might not happen … ‘the market works in mysterious ways’.

I don’t like horses nor puppies but I do love to sit quietly watching toy trains running through the flowers thinking of nothing else but the scene before me. During those moments, what evil deeds the folks at Aristo Craft or Bachmann are planning are the furthest thing from my mind. To me it’s just a hobby - nothing more. Certainly nothing that would cause me to examine the ‘nuances’ contained in the hobby press.

Walt

@ Rooster - your wish is my command. look in “modelling”.

@ Greg - and i’d like to read about, what you have done, not what others should do.

@ Bart - so it could be some kind of summer competition about new features in garden layouts.

@ Raptor TOC - i love your well written sarkasm. and it helps me to understand things.
but i prefer it in topics, that make sense.
as well, as we live and die, companies rise, live and die. the later specially in times like now.
Have you read the posts of ITuncle in one of the other forums?
modelling is more than just buying faulty products from ones favorite company.(yes, Nick, there exist some crazed people, who actually make things themselves)
aristo is sinking - so what? does the sky come down?

@ Pat - and? where are the pics?

@ Vic - so post it for the few plus the silent majority.

@ Hans - yes, fill the void. but seems, that we are sometimes short of stones. and then is’t dirt only.
but now you are laying it on too thick. you wanna make us believe, that there exist people, who actually finish projects??

@ Ray - you where not meant, not by far. there are not many, who give us so interesting thoughtfood as you do.

@ Tim - a lack of undestanding? in my case definitely yes.
but isn’t there something more to it, than cuddly ponies? like cozy scratchbuilts and oh so sweet kitbashes?
sometimes i ask myself, if those who react so strongly to each and every fart any company spokesman lets fly (and i mean the pro and the contra factions alike) if they are only afraid, that they might have to make something by themselves, one day.

@ - hmmm, Kevin, better then most, you should be aware of the downfall of the vampires. they got extict, they say, when eveybody sucked, but nobody donated the red stuff.

@ Walter - hear, hear!