Large Scale Central

Water tank operation

Moving along with my Mini Heisler build I have now sectioned the tender section of the engine and have stumbled upon a problem. Does the water spout on a water tank have lateral movement or just up and down, asking because the roof on the cab over hangs the water fill hatch a little and would really like to keep the cab roof the way it is, Thanks Billtender

Lateral movement, sometimes almost 90 degrees, depending on how far the outlet pipe sticks into the spout and the diameter of the two.

Thanks Rick, now I don’t have to change my cab roof I think it looks better with a little overhang and have to keep a little of the wood dry, it rains a lot here in Florida. Thought it had to move but seems like all the videos of it in operation some how the engine always stopped at the perfect place, thanks again, Bill

cab and tender

Here’s a good picture to show how the spout can be moved around a bit.

Thanks Joe I’m surprised thing doesn’t flap in the breeze

Just built one in HOn3 scale for my D&RGW railroad, the pipe from the tank sticks into the spout, but there is no connection to each other, just the chains support the spout, thus giving it freedom to move around at different angles. I assume it was built this way to accommodate all the different engines what would use it.

trainman