Large Scale Central

Wanted: Motor Blocks

Sean, lol. I would hope not. But with me you never know!

Thanks Michael and Greg!

I took the bottom of the fuel tank off. It’s where the revo/battery setup was. The battery still had the factory plug on it. So, I grabbed my box car that still has a battery in it and plugged it in. It’s the exact same battery that was inside the fuel tank. The one in the box car seems to run much, much faster. I took a few videos. I’ll upload them, but I’m not sure if it will be the same as being here in person. I also noticed the gear box’s are noisy. They didn’t seem that loud before, but maybe I wasn’t paying close attention. So, I’ll put some lithium grease in them soon.

So, right now I’ve got my good battery on the charger. I think I’ll pull it out of the box car and put it in the engine. Then tomorrow after work take it outside and see how it does. I think you guys are right though. It looks like something was wrong with the battery.

Oh, I noticed with the “bad” battery, then motors smelled warm when I was running it. When I plugged in my good battery, no smell.

See. And see how much money we saved you? Now you don’t have to source out and purchase new motor blocks.

It is very much appreciated David! I’m glad you all put up with me! :smiley:

My experience with Li-Ion battery packs up to now leads me to conclude that if you use good quality cells such as Sanyo, they last way longer than some of the crappy cells coming out of China at bargain prices.

Matt … You better use Mobile 1 ( not Lithium grease ) or … Greg will come after you! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Tony, I’m not sure what kind of cells are in that pack. It’s a cordlessrenovations CR-1700 18.5v HC3000mah.

It’s definatley bad. I plugged it into my other sd40-2 and it made it run really slow as well. So, next week sometime I’m going to run up to Robby’s and get another pack.

I can’t thank you all enough for the help!!!

Sean, Mobile 1? For real or am I missing a joke?

Matt

Get RLD’s HSS 5S1P its a good battery

Cheers Richard

double post

Matt Russell said:

Tony, I’m not sure what kind of cells are in that pack. It’s a cordlessrenovations CR-1700 18.5v HC3000mah.

It’s definatley bad. I plugged it into my other sd40-2 and it made it run really slow as well. So, next week sometime I’m going to run up to Robby’s and get another pack.

I can’t thank you all enough for the help!!!

Several other threads extol the virtues of using Mobil One as a lubricant on our models. So, I guess you did miss the joke.

Matt,

The 5S1P 18.5V 3000mAh battery is a undersized IMO (capacity=current/amperage capability)… Yes it will work, but without careful care and feeding its life cycle will be short lived! If you must use said battery; short trains and frequent charging would provide the best results. Extended and or maximum run times and or allowing the engine to operate until such time the batteries internal PCB low voltage/cut-off safety features is invoked is the worst case scenario for long life with these batteries.

Michael

if the motor blocks are noisy then either the gears are worn/damaged, or someone put them back together wrong (and the gears will be damaged very soon).

It is REALLY easy to let the small bushings get out of alignment by just opening the motor block, and the alignment of the bushings is DIFFERENT between 2 axle and 3 axle blocks.

Many times “experts” have messed this up, and damaged gearboxes.

Greg

Matt Russell said:

Matt look here: http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/26369/is-labelle-107-oil-ok-with-plastic

Greg Elmassian said:

Yep, I’m using Mobile 1 for general lubrication now. Greg

Later!

Everything goes better with a little lubrication. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Thanks Richard!

Michael, I have to find one that will fit in the fuel tank. That’s the same battery, different brand, that I have now. By small trains, what do you mean. Normally I run 25-30 cars for over 2 hours.

Greg, after listening further, I don’t think it was the gears. I originally had the engine sitting on it’s side, on top of a wooden chest. I think it was the plastic side trucks vibrating. I don’t have any stationary blocks to sit the engine on. If I sit the engine in my lap it sounds like my other sd40-2. Which, I guess that could be good or bad. lol. But, nothing sounds weird. Robby never took the covers off. I have though. I followed some instructions I found about the bushing placement. If I hadn’t seen those instructions I would have never known. It seemed backwards of how I would have placed them. lol. I didn’t remove any gears, just the covers. But everything went back together fine.

Sean, thanks for that link! Guess I’ll pick up some mobil 1.

David, LOL!!!

Contents of post deleted due to discontinuity in time-space continuum

Start the New Year off thinking about how small we really are.

http://www.wimp.com/breathtaking-spy-plane-footage/

Greg Elmassian said:

Sorry I read the January 4 post wrong, I thought it said that Robby lubed the gears, but he just recommended lubing them.

So, since it is virtually impossible for both motor blocks to go bad at the same time, you have an electronics issue. (unless it is a power pickup issue, and you had bad power pickup on one block for a while, and got by and then finally the other block went.

Time to debug, I will bet that you would be wasting time and money with the motor blocks. Do you want to pursue debugging this or have you given up?

Greg

Your post confuses me Greg. I thought the he determined that it was a bad battery pack. So, what is left to debug?

Matt if you have a hard time finding Mobile 1 I have a recommendation Red “N” Tacky Grease by Lucas. I have used for over 20 years.

cheers

Richard

Greg, I found out it was the battery! I appreciate all your help.

Sup, Cuz! :smiley:

Thanks Richard. I do have a walmart within’ about 20 miles or so. Next time I go to town I’ll pick up a quart.

Common to both motors is the battery and the receiver (revo I believe??). Is there a fuse somewhere?verify it for zero ohms.

Sometimes it is current starved, not a voltage issue.