Large Scale Central

Want to add a water feature

David Kapp said:
. But don't expect too much I'm not to good at this kind of thing.
That's the beauty of this hobby. You learn by doing........ and you get better at all kinds of things/stuff as you go along.

Paying a pro, even if it might come out nicer, isn’t nearly as satisfying.

And… the water won’t hesitate tell you if you didn’t get it level :stuck_out_tongue:

I have some pics before and during Monday I get the after.
I’ll post the then.
One thing I did change. I didn’t go to the mountain to get rocks.
I bought a half flat I figured time is money.
And I didn’t have to take a day or three running across the county side looking for rocks.
I don’t have the water fall started yet, but I get that in time.
I’m tooo tired to fool with it now.
I guess I’m not 17 any more.
David

I have a semi finished pond picture I have to use the other computer to get the other before pictures. Now I told you not to expect too much. BTW I cut the grass after I took the pictures. I always do things backwards. I’m building Rock mountain that will set on the right rear will hold the water fall. I have to recoup from this project first.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/paps101line/_forumfiles/lake1.jpg)

Dyno shack

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/paps101line/_forumfiles/dynoshack.jpg)

Looks like you’ve done a nice job on the pond and made quick time of the work too :wink:
Ralph

Here is a shot of the yard before the pond project That I took with my phone.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/paps101line/_forumfiles/037.jpg)

David

I didn’t have a place to put the dirt. So I laid out the dirt in 2 places and covered it up with weed block and put mulch over it.
The one I lined the bottom with stones the other I just mulched because I need the stones for the water fall.
I bought a lily pad plant and put it in the deep end and the pads weren’t long enough to reach the surface.
I’ll have to put a rock in the center and place the container on it.
David

Was working on the water fall today.
I’m not sure just how I want to do it .
I have on version that gives a 10" drop into the pond.
Seems like it may be enough.
I tried it out with the hose it seemed to work ok.
I have to get a pump and set it up and see how it works.
I placed the water fall on the right side next to the track.
I decided not to make a tunnel.
It will be like a cut instead.
David

Lookin good David

David Kapp said:
Was working on the water fall today. I'm not sure just how I want to do it . I have on version that gives a 10" drop into the pond. Seems like it may be enough. I tried it out with the hose it seemed to work ok. I have to get a pump and set it up and see how it works. I placed the water fall on the right side next to the track. I decided not to make a tunnel. It will be like a cut instead. David
David,

I was cleaning out the waterfall pond yesterday using a hose at full volume, it was a far cry from what the waterfall pump delivers. :wink: You need to figure out how much flow you want, 306GPH will be too little and 2500GPH will be too much. Take your pick in the middle where the price is right too. :wink: :slight_smile: And don’t forget the filter! Looks like your pond will get full sun, algae thrive on that!

Th pond is less than 200 gallons.
So I figured any thing 700 gallon PH or a little less.
If I figured right.
I can get a good pump at a real fair price @ 700 gph.
I didn’t get a filter yet other than the foam one that goes over the suction side of the pump,.
What filter do you recommend?
David

700 gph is only going to produce a small trickle of water.

It is not the size of the pond that you want to consider, rather, you want to consider the size of the stream/waterfall.

David Kapp said:
Th pond is less than 200 gallons. So I figured any thing 700 gallon PH or a little less. If I figured right. I can get a good pump at a real fair price @ 700 gph. I didn't get a filter yet other than the foam one that goes over the suction side of the pump,. What filter do you recommend? David
David,

If you keep the waterfall narrow you will get enough flow to look decent. You could start a little higher - where did you say you put all that dirt from digging the pond? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: - build a narrow stream that falls into the pond. Just like a smaller pipe will increase the pressure on a line a narrower stream increases the velocity of the stream and fall.

Lets say your 700GPH pump has to lift 3-4ft it would deliver approx 600GPH, that means all the pond water circulates 3 times/hr. Easiest filter: pressurized type, if you can afford it with a UVC unit. Those filters let you backwash all the crud very easily.

I think the pump has a 12.5’ lift.
I have a large flat rock 2.5 ft by 15" I could use that to run the water across .
I’ll check that kind maybe I coulld pick up a good used one?
I stand corrected that has a 10 foot lift.
And it cost me $65.00 with shipping

A 12.5 ft lift means that it will lift water to 12.5 feet. After that, all flow of water stops.

I learned these things the hard way.

Also, make sure that you get a pump designed for the continuous use expected in a pond. A “sump pump” will fail within a week or two. A sump pump is just not designed to take that kind of continuous use.

Again, I learned that the hard way.

David,

Here’s a link that gives you answers to just about anything related to ponds and all the stuff that goes with it. Learning the hard way is invariably more expensive than reading up on a subject and then applying what one has learned.

But as I always like to say: doing it several times to get it right provides all the extra experience. :lol: :lol: :wink:

Pond pumps are expensive, so be sure you get one with the longest warranty. I figured out my replacement cost on a per year basis and it is cheaper for me to buy the $60.00 dirty water pump each year (we have 2, replace one each year - they last about 2) from Harbor Freight than it is to spend $300.00 every 3 years. Plus I can usually fix the one I took out for use elsewhere (such a draining the basement when a pipe breaks - happened last weekend).

Yew, hj, it would have been very nice if that info was available when I started fussing with ponds, but it wasn’t. None of the retailers around here were much help, either. They wanted to do the install. By being a DIYer, I was cutting into their rice bowl. That made them reluctant to share information.

This is what I got.

1-ODYSSEA WP-700 SUBMERSIBLE PUMP

This powerful submersible pump is perfect for ponds, fountains, protein skimmers,

wet/dry filters, or circulation. An excellent choice for reef tanks,

or anywhere a utility pump is needed.

Submersible or in-line compatible.
10’ max head height.
Multiple output valve options.
5’ power cord.
Pumps 700 GPH.

Retail price $159.99
Fishman’s Starting Price, ONLY $65.00 with Free Shipping!

OK here is what I am doing.
I will have the top of my falls 16 to 20 inches above the pond.
It will flow across a rock 8" wide X 2 foot long.
Drop about 1 foot to 10 " into the pond.
My pond is about 200 gallon. so the 700 may be a little big.
I also need to get a filter.

I got a picture of my first lily pad flower.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/paps101line/_forumfiles/Lilyflower.jpg)

Nice. The hard work is paying off already :wink:
Ralph