Large Scale Central

Walk on track

The Chief Financial Officer of the Post Oak & Otter Lake Railroad was receptive to an idea I mention this past weekend. I said that I was thinking about laying some track on the living room floor. She had been thinking the same thing and thought it was a great idea.
The area is about 18’ X 25’ and at least half that will be across traffic areas. I checked the Split Jaw web site for their walk on track. Since I didn’t get any of the federal stimulus money for railroads I don’t think I will be able to go that route. Anyone with suggestions on how to have walk on track?
Also I was wondering about Switchcrafter’s Aluminum Code 332 rail since it is a lot cheaper than Aristocraft brass. I don’t think it would stand up as well to traffic and the indoor layout would be track powered. Or should I replace my outdoor brass with the aluminum and use the brass inside? Outside is raised and without track power at this time.

Roger
Post Oak & Otter Lake RR
Caddo Mills TX

Hey Roger,

First of all welcome to the site, there are a bunch of great people with great advise located here. As far as track, I don’t know of any manufacturers track that is tolerant of a lot of “Foot Traffic”. Brass is going to be better, but it will still bend and move under weight.

SwitchCrafters makes a great switch in aluminum and brass and they can make them for “Track Power”, but I don’t think you want anyone stepping on them because there are small parts that can break.

I guess the other question I have is if your outside layout is “Non” track power, why not use “Non” track power in the house. That way all of your equipment is set-up the same.

I know for my self that after I converted to “Battery” power, I’ll never go back to track power again, inside or outside. No more wiring, cleaning track, and we can operate more then one train when friends come over.

Anyway just some food for thought.

Chuck

My wife wants to be able to run her eggliners and other small whimsical items. I don’t think I can convert an eggliner to RC/battery
I also have only converted 1 Annie and 1 Little Critter to batteries. The Connie , Porter, other Critter & 7 Annies are still track powered. With Thomas’ arrival this weekend I have a total of 11 to convert to battery.
I agree on the battery power. When I rebuilt the POOL RR, I ran conduit to put wire in but have not added it yet. The track power was to be for those visiting who didn’t have Battery. The three of us in the NCTxAS who run the most use batteries. We have had up to 4 trains running on a single track mainline.

Roger

How about an articulated eggliner train? Motor in one unit, receiver in 2nd unit and batteries in third unit? Semi permanently connected with drawbars and wiring in between. I don’t think I’ve heard of it being done before and give the wife a neat lil’ complete train to run.

For walk-on track …

Do you have hardwood floors? If so, pull up some boards, drop the track on teh sub-floor and then fill leaving the rails slightly raised and a flange way.

Just kidding :smiley:

Why is it everywhere I turn I see reference too Eggliners…I would swear you guys are in kahoots with my wife as she wants them and I detest them for many reasons. This is a personal hurdle I have to jump on my own.
Roger,
I played around with routed out 12" wide double track straight sections of PVC board to accept Aristo 332 rail for a trolley line in my town but threw it in the scrap pile as it really would not fit into my “overall picture” whatever that is!
Perhaps I should did that back out? This site promotes A.D.H.D.
:wink:

Jon Radder said:
For walk-on track ...

Do you have hardwood floors? If so, pull up some boards, drop the track on teh sub-floor and then fill leaving the rails slightly raised and a flange way.

Just kidding :smiley:

Much easier to use a router :smiley:
Don’t need any rail at all :wink:
But you’d have to join the Battery Mafia :slight_smile:
Ralph

Ralph,
No…you need the rail as it slides into the routed kerfs. You could still power it and the look of the rail is needed!
Trolley didn’t run down Main Street on routed grooves without rail? Could always fasten catenary to the PVC board and run power from that.
Your gettin’ to old to eat burritos while sippin’ Mountain Dew

Richard
Good idea, but she only has one and doesn’t know about the one that should be here next week.

Jon
Have carpet.

David
I don’t care for the eggliners either, but they keep the wife happy with my trains.
I’d trip on catenary.

Roger

David Russell said:
Ralph, No....you need the rail as it slides into the routed kerfs. You could still power it and the look of the rail is needed! Trolley didn't run down Main Street on routed grooves without rail? Could always fasten catenary to the PVC board and run power from that. Your gettin' to old to eat burritos while sippin' Mountain Dew
Mountain Dew I though it was Mellow Yellow down south.
Shawn said:
Mountain Dew I though it was Mellow Yellow down south.
Yes I stand corrected.....that and Moxie

I have what seems like a very simple idea (to me) but it seems to make perfect sense (to me)… :slight_smile:

if the traffic areas are straight…

if hand laid rail goes down with some sort of nail/miniater spike…

couldn’t you use a piece of hardwood…like a door threshold uses hardwood…say a piece of hardwood 1x6 (just as an example) …route two groves in it…deep enough that the bottom of the grooves are the height of the ties…grooves just wide enough to fit rail and whatever holds it down?? almost making something that looks like a long wooden rerailer?? I’d think if the board was the right thickness…it could be screwd to the floor,through the carpet,making it nice and solid…and when you step on it,you’d be stepping on wood,not the rails…

just a thought… :slight_smile:

I have thought of doing something similar to that. I can’t easily attach anything to the floor as under the carpet and padding is concrete slab. Anyway the whole project has been put on hold since she got new furniture. Maybe this summer.

Roger

Roger Houser said:
I have thought of doing something similar to that. I can't easily attach anything to the floor as under the carpet and padding is concrete slab. Anyway the whole project has been put on hold since she got new furniture. Maybe this summer.

Roger

Will you be boring a hole in the new furniture for a tunnel?
:slight_smile:

David Russell said:
Roger Houser said:
I have thought of doing something similar to that. I can't easily attach anything to the floor as under the carpet and padding is concrete slab. Anyway the whole project has been put on hold since she got new furniture. Maybe this summer.

Roger

Will you be boring a hole in the new furniture for a tunnel?
:slight_smile:

WOW…i was only thinking as far as those screws you can drive into concrete :slight_smile: