Large Scale Central

WAINWRIGHT MINING DISTRICT

A little more to show. Setting the switch in place on the existing line where it will cut in gives me the location to install the new support post to carry the off end of the new bridge. This also sets the alignment to the curving grade around the block wall. You can see a couple of the grade stakes in the left background, I set them at approx. 2 foot spacing. This spacing worked out almost even distances around the curve and it sets my grade at about 3/4 inch per 2 foot.

Here you can see the trestle bents in decending order with their 3/4 inch drop from one to the next. It is a steep grade but workable especially using small mining and geared locomotives. The bents are not built to scale but rather built to endure and carry the top beams and have a big enough landing area for the screws to attach them.

The bents installed. Obviously the long leg on each one (shown in the previous picture) was/is for burial in the ground to provide stability and strength. Here also is a pretty good view of most of the “Shaft House”, I have built a new 3 inch high “foundation” for the building to raise it high enough for the ore car dumps. (More on that later)

More later.
Rick

Rick, nice work… :slight_smile:

Looking good Rick

Very nice work Rick! I skip one day looking at your thread and you have MORE done!:slight_smile:

A little more progress. I have the switch cut into the main line and working, just have to add the throw stand and fill the scenery back in.

A couple of shots of the trestle grade with the stringers installed. Where the stringers meet the 2X6 on the right there will be a switch and the track will come back around to the left and on down to the flat grade of the scene area.

A friend brought by a 16 inch “A” Frame turntable deck today that will be just perfect for the “Mining District” motive power. I just have to figure out where it will install and then get it done. Information on the motive power coming soon.

Thanks for taking a look.
Rick

Hi all,
I have added the connection point at the table top and built the drop in bridge. Again, I have built for strength and robustness not scale fidelity

Rick

liftout bridge setup looks great…

I can’t disagree with Andy…looks great to me as well.

Nice lookin’ Rick.:slight_smile:

Love the bridge

Rick Marty said:
Again, I have built for strength and robustness not scale fidelity
A wise choice when modeling outdoors ;) Stout and looks great too :) Ralph

Excellent!

I’m stealing your trestle bent design.

Nice looking work Rick. Not a thing wrong with the bents or the bridge

That looks keen Rick! That bridge will outlast me for sure and maybe you too. :slight_smile:

It is never said enough times but, Thank You for taking the time to post all the pictures. It is greatly appreciated and I know that I speak for all of us in this regard. With appreciation, Dennis.

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement.

Joe,
Steal away and welcome. Hope it works out well for you.

Richard,
When the snow goes off the hill I will bring up a bottle
and we will discuss who will out last who :)=:)

Dennis,
Thank you. Posting photos does get to be a drag against modeling time,
but I know how much I enjoy photos posted by others so I try to contribute
when I can.

Rick

Joe Bussing said:
I'm stealing your trestle bent design.
I think I might too. I don't have the patience to build a full blown trestle for my elevated section, but Rick's bents would look nicer that the plain board I'm using now.

Hi All,
Time for a little update. Now moving into motive power for the Mining District. Here is an overall shot of the three pieces I have been developing to use in the mining district. Well actually the rail truck will be used more out on the Shasta Pacific mainline but since all three are gasoline engines I have rebuilt it to use the same trailing car.

This rail truck I built several years ago using a die cast '34 Ford pickup in 1:18 scale and an Aristo motor block. I powered it with an 7.9 volt battery and used a 3-way switch, forward-off-reverse, for control. With the weight of the truck and the low battery voltage it would tootle along at a very reasonable speed for 2-3 hours. Of course there was no control, it had to have a clear mainline and just let it run. Since I was going to build a trailing car for the other gas/mechanical locos I thought it would be a good idea to include this truck. After all, the only added expense was a pigtail connector and a speaker.

This model of the gas/mechanical Davenport Locomotive was introduced in 1939, the cut off date of my railroad, so this loco has to remain looking in pretty new condition. KD couplers were installed, an interesting project on this loco, and the handrail staunchens had to come out of the radiator grill and move to the sides. The next thing to go was that massive headlight, it may have been prototypical but I really didn’t like the looks of it. The exhaust stack was replaced with a pipe and muffle more suited to a small block 4 cylinder engine.

The Bachmann Davenport chassis with the Banta Model Works “Boxcab” conversion kit. The bell is from a Bachmann Porter. Since the interior is unfinished and contains nothing but the speaker and some wiring I "frosted/dusted the windows so that the interior was slightly obscured.

More on these later.
Rick

The rail truck really looks good.
I’ve been meaning to buy the Banta kit ever since it came out. Maybe it’s time to buy myself another Christmas present :wink:
Ralph