Large Scale Central

Volunteers

We have a row of very tall Hemlock trees on the border of our property. From these, come lots of seedlings every year. A few I let mature around the railroad. After a few years they start to get way too big, so I am experimenting with topping and trimming them. They are hard to see with all the other growth, but in this shot there are four of them that are still in the OK size range at two or three years old…

And in this pic are four more. All but the center one are several years old and have been trimmed back today…

And finally, one that was probably 4 or more years old that I cut about 2 feet off the top…

I won’t know if this attempt to keep their size in check will work until mid-summer next year after the new growth appears, but it’s worth a shot.

Jon,

All you can do is experiment, and the price is certainly right!

Eric

Yep, the price is right and as a native plant they grow well in our soil. I didn’t do a lot to shape them at the first trimming. I’ll wait a few weeks for them to get over that shock before I try. Then we’ll see how they look after wintering.

I’ve had a lot of established trees die off in the past several years. I lost all but one of my Dwarf Alberta Spruce trees one winter, and now I’m trying to save what is left of my Boxwoods that are suffering from a fungal infection.

After doing this for 20 some years I’m finally starting to figure out what will grow here, and where. Lots of failures along the way :neutral_face:

1 Like

Jon,

We have had a similar issue finding plants that will thrive over the seven years since breaking ground. The issue is that our microclimate vacillates between tropical heat and tropical deluge. Finding plants that like desert to flood is a thing! Long story short, we are shifting towards natives, which is an issue best left for its own post!

Aloha,
Eric

Not exactly Volunteers, more like draftees.

We regularly beach our boat on a small heavily wooded island. I’ve had my eye on a few plants that seem to survive year after year in the deep shade, and this year, in extremely dry conditions.

Last weekend I decided to dig up a few and bring them home. Here they are in their temporary Solo cup homes…

I haven’t tried to figure out what they are yet, but before they croak, I got them planted tonight in a spot that is very shady and not much will grow. I used a metal piece as a border so I can remember where they were planted next spring…

EDIT to add: PlantSnap can’t ID them. If anyone has a clue LMK.

Not an expert by any means, but PlantNet says it is “Spotted Wintergreen” (Chimaphila maculata) aka Winter Creeper.

I’m not convinced… :innocent:

There’s a reason you found them on the island. They been eradicated from everywhere else as invasive, I bet!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimaphila_maculata

Interesting note in wiki on the star shaped dark green with white vein leaf plant:

Medicinal history[edit]

“The Cree Indians called it ‘pipsisikweu’ – which means ‘breaks into small pieces’ – after the supposed ability to break down gallstones and kidney stones. … Native Americans used its leaf tea to treat rheumatism and stomach problems, and crushed leaves were applied as a poultice to sores and wounds.”[1]

I googled Spotted Wintergreen” (Chimaphila maculata) and I think that is a correct identification. Photos of it in flower also show the seed pod, which the one I liberated has still attached, but dried up.

Closer still is Striped Wintergreen. And, as the name implies, they stay green all winter.

And reading the blog post where I got that picture, I need to move it to a spot that has deep summer shade, but winter sun. I think I know a spot or two.

Jon,

Neat plant! Note it is endangered in some areas which may limit wild collection. Some jurisdictions restrict collection of native plants regardless of their status. There may be prohibitions against collecting it, so you were very luck that this one had taken root in a discarded plastic cup!

Eric

I checked our state Endangered Plants list. It’s cousin, the One Flower Wintergreen is on the list, but this variety is not. Glad I don’t need to shield it from the air patrols looking for ‘plants’ :grin:

Been dying to say this since I saw the topic …" I ain’t volunteering for nothing"
Been there done that… got sucked in and still sucked in on certain aspects but “I still ain’t volunteering for nothing” currently.
:rooster: