Large Scale Central

Visit to Rick Marty's

I just got back from 4 weeks of exploring Oregon. The original intent a year ago when my family (18 of us in total) was to spend a week exploring Crater Lake. The rest of the trip was planned around a week at Diamond Lake. Well a week before the trip starts, a lightening storm rolls through eastern Oregon and starts a bunch of wildfires, including one just a half mile or so from Diamond Lake, effectively closing the campground.

The oh sh** plan went into effect to scramble for a campsite for a week in the southern Oregon area. Long story short, we ended up camping near Train Mountain (more on that later) for a few days and then wondered over to the westside.

When we started planning this trip, I reached out to Rick and got some details on where he lived and when we might be in the area. Low and behold, the cancellation of the Crater Lake opened up a new campground on the Rogue River fairly close to Rick.

One morning, my Dad and I went over to saw Rick’s layout and hung out until it got too hot.

Thanks Rick for opening up your backyard for a quick tour. I’m already wanting to come back and do some operations at your place and at Train Mountain!

I have looked at the signs for Train Mountain on my travels thru Oregon, and looked at Google maps something like 37 miles of track and hope some day to visit there , anytime they are open, but one of the meets would be well worth the Flight or drive to be there. Plus a lot of real stuff to look at on my way there from AZ if I drive. Nevada Northern be an engineer in Ely and Portola museum and the Keddie Wye, among other sights to see

Train Mountain is well worth a day or even a week trip. We rode for 2.5 hours and only saw half of the railroad.

Hope circle, the furthest point takes 2.5 hours one way going at 7 mph…
We didn’t get that far but saw a lot.

I can believe it! The local 7.5” , Maricopa Live Steamers has 17 miles of track in a confined area 20 acres or so, and their Christmas rides are out and back and about 20- 30 minutes , so traversing the whole area takes some time

Pictures of the enjoyable visits to Marty’s railroad, would be very much appreciated by those of us who will probably never be able to travel the distance to see it.
Thank you in advance to anyone willing to share those pictures…
Fred

1 Like

I was lucky to visit Rick at his railroad in August of 2022. Here are some pics:

Rick’s wife Patty is a wonderful artist:

5 Likes

Craig
It was good to have you and your Dad stop by, enjoyed your visit. Always great to meet someone here in person.

Jim,
Thanks for posting the pictures, I can’t believe it has been 2 years already. Welcome back anytime.

2 Likes