Large Scale Central

Vibona Bridge RR #2

Well, folks, after a long period of prevarication, mainly due to almost non-stop widdling rain, I finally bit the bullet and have begun in earnest to prepare for the rebuild of the Vibona Bridge RR Co. Inc.

Got loads of metal spikes for the uprights [fence posts], lots of timber from a local house building project for the track base[all legally bought, I hasten to explain] lots more old shelving for the cross-slats, and half a million woodscrews to put it all together with.

THIS version will be 30 inches high at the house end, and around 15 inches high at the back end yard - a choice I made because of a combination of advancing age and decrepitude and ever-heavier locos. The Garratt weighs almost 40 pounds ready to roll - NO fun to bend over and place on a track at ground level with eight very wiggly sets of wheels hidden underneath two wiggly chassis to manoeuvre.

This version of the track will only be around 80 feet or so for the circuit, but it WILL be double track in 45mm and another teeny track for H0 - a steaming bay will be built later on.

Sadly, the shape of my backyard, with a teeny workshop in one corner, prevents me from being more adventurous, but I’m sure that I’ll get around to enjoying it eventually. In spite of what you might read in magazines and see on the TV, very few of us live in mansions or castles, and even less of us have a couple of acres to play trains.

In fact, MY backyard measures 27 feet square, and that includes an 8’x6’ workshop/shed in one corner…

Even the flowers grow one on top of the other in the competition for space.

I’ll keep you posted, if anyone is in the least bit interested in how the poor do it.

Graders

tac

tac,

Please keep us posted on your progress. And remember, we love those pic’s.

Hey, even a short, simple loop is a lot better than just leaving the trains on a shelf! Especially if you have live steam, those things shouldn’t be cooped up in the barn, so to speak.

Is the HO track for Gn15, or for HO scale trains, or both?

Ray Dunakin said:
Hey, even a short, simple loop is a lot better than just leaving the trains on a shelf! Especially if you have live steam, those things shouldn't be cooped up in the barn, so to speak.

Is the HO track for Gn15, or for HO scale trains, or both?

Yo Ray - the great thing about H0 track is that, just like 45mm track, it doesn’t know, or care, what runs on it.

I have a small collection of H0/00 stuff that I like - here’s a little taste -

Sunset Hobbies - Limited edition brass SP&S E-1 Northern #700 - running out of Brooklyn Yard in Portland [I’m sure you know it] plus fifteen heavyweight cars to haul behind it.

BLI - Santa Fe Northern #3751 - no rolling stock - I was one of the original supporters of the rebuild, albeit ina very small way.

Tenshodo PFM - Brass CPR ‘Royal Hudson’ #2860

Tenshodo PFM - GN Y-1 in green

Tenshodo PFM - GN Y-1 in war pumpkin

Set of sixteen GN heavyweights to haul behind them.

Half dozen BNSF dismals, a couple of Algoma and SF.

A few German and a couple of British stuff I either built, or converted.

All of the geared Bachmann 0n30 stuff and a Connie.

Awaiting the MTH GS4 #4449 in Daylight scheme, said to be the best model ever of this charismatic loco.

I used to have a very nice collection of thirteen CN and CPR brass locos from a couple of makers, including the very rare 1939 CPR Royal Train - Royal Hudson and nine matching cars - they were all stolen back in 1998, prolly to order. The Royal Train set was VERY hard to come by and I bleeve only 25 were ever made. Only the Canadian and US stuff was stolen that night - not a single item of British stuff was even touched.

As for piccies well, I’ll have to see about that - to tell the truth, I really can’t see anybody being THAT interested in a tiny track in a tiny backyard in the arse-end of nowhere.

Best

tac

Quote: “As for piccies well, I’ll have to see about that - to tell the truth, I really can’t see anybody being THAT interested in a tiny track in a tiny backyard in the arse-end of nowhere.”

[b]Tac, I’d love to see photos of your tiny “arse-end”! :wink: Keep us posted. Always a pleasure to see some of your great looking lokies & trains too!

Should you need a bit more elbow room you’re always welcome here of course.[/b]

Terry,

Interesting that you would say - “interested in how the poor do it.”

You are considered one of the wealthier people I know. I enjoy your talent and attitude of life. And to me that is a lot.

I also would like to see some pictures, when you can get around to it. I know that it is exciting to see a plan come together. I hope you can take some before, after and during construction pictures.

One question, please - I need an interpretation of what “widdling rain” is. Thank you.

I know how this poor person does it. I mix aluminum and brass track. Dig a trench and throw some $15 a ton gravel in the trench. It may be tacky and cheap looking but it sure has been fun!
Ralph

Ric Golding said:
Terry, You are considered one of the wealthier people I know. I enjoy your talent and attitude of life. And to me that is a lot.

I also would like to see some pictures, when you can get around to it. I know that it is exciting to see a plan come together. I hope you can take some before, after and during construction pictures.

One question, please - I need an interpretation of what “widdling rain” is. Thank you.

Ric, Old floon - I USED to be wealthy, then I had to fill up my car. At around $130 a time…and that’s every week, sometimes more often, depending on how much running around we have to do for daughter [wheelchair user and we all live in a non-accessible bus area].

I WILL take piccies as I go along, I promise, but please, guys, don’t get too excited, this is very low-tech stuff by your standards - Dr Rivet I ain’t.

‘widdling rain’ = rain that just when you think it has stopped, it starts up again…a bit like a new puppy.

As for the other stuff, shucks, we just get along and try to live, eh?

Besp graders

tac

Richard Smith said:
[i]Quote: "As for piccies well, I'll have to see about that - to tell the truth, I really can't see anybody being THAT interested in a tiny track in a tiny backyard in the arse-end of nowhere."[/i]

[b]Tac, I’d love to see photos of your tiny “arse-end”! :wink: Keep us posted. Always a pleasure to see some of your great looking lokies & trains too!

Should you need a bit more elbow room you’re always welcome here of course.[/b]

Yo Richard, Old Floon, piccies will be sent to you as usual - the invitation to come over is a poison chalice indeed. After a couple of months with me as a neighbour you’d be happy to open your jugular by grinding it on an anvil… :slight_smile:

Graders to all, espcially Pat, whose hat I’m wearing this minute!!!

tac