Large Scale Central

@*$*(!#* Vandals!

Bob McCown said:
Now we know where Andy gets all the fill for his railroad.
Hey, maw, is that there a skull poking out under that train?

Naaaaaaaaa Andy would bury 'em down by the creek where the lake is gonna go…

Bob McCown said:
Dont forget to attach the cameras to a Phalanx

cameras and a better fence, covenants permitting. I am fortunate up here where there is no county, borough or municipality and thus no restrictive ordinances or even covenants. Back in '99 I began installing 8-foot “cattle” fencing–most of it with two strands of barbed wire on top. The wire part below the strands is 6-feet tall and comes in 50 and 100 foot rolls. Over the course of several years I installed several hundred feet of this fencing before I even began my outdoor layout. Some of those fence posts now serve as the supports for much of the new rail line. I realize this is not feasible in much of the lower states, but it sure works well for me.

Part of the fence line with a new section of track installed (June 2007). Posts are being set for the building which will eventually house the Cicely model that will be placed along the adjacent rail line which runs at approximately the seven-foot level. You can still see the upper barbed wire strand in this photo. I removed the barbed wire strands later this last summer since there is also an outer fence (background) which protects THIS one. This fencing system has prevented a LOT of problems over the years. It did not, however, stop one moose that went right through one section of it a few years back. On the other hand, she did not enter the compound with the intention of vandalizing any of my model railroad layout.

Trip wires and AP mines work well…I’ve had some personal experiance with them…:wink:

Ronald Simpson said:

Bob McCown said:
Dont forget to attach the cameras to a Phalanx

cameras and a better fence, covenants permitting. I am fortunate up here where there is no county, borough or municipality and thus no restrictive ordinances or even covenants. Back in '99 I began installing 8-foot “cattle” fencing–most of it with two strands of barbed wire on top. The wire part below the strands is 6-feet tall and comes in 50 and 100 foot rolls. Over the course of several years I installed several hundred feet of this fencing before I even began my outdoor layout. Some of those fence posts now serve as the supports for much of the new rail line. I realize this is not feasible in much of the lower states, but it sure works well for me.

Part of the fence line with a new section of track installed (June 2007). Posts are being set for the building which will eventually house the Cicely model that will be placed along the adjacent rail line which runs at approximately the seven-foot level. You can still see the upper barbed wire strand in this photo. I removed the barbed wire strands later this last summer since there is also an outer fence (background) which protects THIS one. This fencing system has prevented a LOT of problems over the years. It did not, however, stop one moose that went right through one section of it a few years back. On the other hand, she did not enter the compound with the intention of vandalizing any of my model railroad layout.

Hey Ron, Do they keep the deer, moose and bears out? :wink: :slight_smile:

Quote:
Hey Ron,

Do they keep the deer, moose and bears out?

The moose can and have gone through anything they want, including a section of that fence. Bears? So far, so good. Deer? None exist in the interior of Alaska.