Large Scale Central

USAT Modern Tank Car - Kadee Adapter

A club member asked me to recreate the little adapter to attach a 906 to the modern tank car. Here it is, in case it’s useful to anyone:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2793276

I am aware that Ted D. has an article on Greg’s site about modifications, etc. This is just a copy of the stock unit.

Thank you Eric,

Nicely done spacer.

The USAT 55 foot tank car, if operated on curves sufficiently greater than 10 foot diameter, may not suffer from wheel flange interference against the 906 coupler box.

USAT 55 foot tank car with Kadees not aligned

Just a suggestion:
If making a replica of the factory spacer, try making it about 0.030 inch thinner so the Kadee coupler aligns with the Kadee gauge. But check if the spacer and box can still be mounted OK.

-Ted

Ted: Thanks. I did read your whole article before I did this, but I don’t actually own any of these cars. I just replicated the spacer he gave me. I’ll mention this, though.

The model is parametric, and I created a variable for overall height. I can easily adjust it.

On a side note, what does one of these cars weigh? I got a 29’beer can tank and have not weighed it but it is heavy!

On a side note, what does one of these cars weigh? I got a 29’beer can tank and have not weighed it but it is heavy!

Peter,

I measured the weights of all 3 different length cars. See my vignette about the USAT modern tank cars.

-Ted