Large Scale Central

USAT 50' Boxcar Transformation

Step 1: Erase the old sides

Knowing what you are capable of this will be fun to see where it goes from here.

Step 2: Boom!

Is that all one piece of PVC? The snap almost sounds like magnets!

Sheet styrene. Most of it is only 1mm thick. I guess it sounds like that because it’s hitting the hollow box. :laughing:

Probably a lot easier to do a waffle side like that as one piece instead of trying to glue on all those individual pieces.

I’m thinking that once the layout is built, a CNC router is going to be the next major purchase for the rolling stock kitbashing that will hopefully come.

1 Like

How did you make the side ?

Milled with my CNC.

2 Likes

beautiful. I really need to convince the wife that I need a CNC router. Between the modeling and wood working I would use it, especially in wood working but that car side is encouraging.

Fancy… I should of not been surprised…:sunglasses:

1 Like

Removed the roofwalk, plugged holes and added printed bits of filler ribs.

Added brass grabs on the sides, cut and re-used end ladders. And, as you can see, I made a new piece for the end to add some roof overhang and a different vent pattern.

Dan,
Can I be “that guy” and ask for the filler ribs file?

Wow Dan, I can already tell that is going to look great when complete. Nice work.

Shane

USAT_50ft_Roofwalk_Rib_Filler.stl (61.3 KB)

1 Like

Thanks Dan. I’ll be downloading and printing off a few.

14 per car. They are slightly oversized so sand to fit. A bit tedious but you are used to that. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I had a test file started and was tweaking the angle but that’s as far as I got.

Need another one with the roof walk supports still on. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m sure I have plenty of pics already but I stopped at the P&W yard in Putnam and took few more of a door latch assembly. Drew up both handle up and handle down.

2 Likes

Nice having the 3d printer ey

1 Like

Yep. But more useful is the computer and design software!

2 Likes