Large Scale Central

USA Trains Mighty Mo switcher....

dies…

Back in 2004, my local LGB dealer, Glendale Junction, acquired an unpainted USA Trains Mighty Mo switcher. He paid me to give it a good paint job in Coca-Cola red and so on, and then, a couple of months later, got me to weather it. It ran around his demo track for the last thirteen-something years, until last month, when its valiant little motor finally died.

Today, I brought it home for a pittance, and would like to get it running once more.

I’ve emole USA Trains, asking if they can help me out with a new motor and some skates, but TTTT, I have little faith in that direction, although I’m more than happy to be proven wrong.

So, anybody there got a spare motor/skids? In return for $$$$$$$$$$$$$, of course.

Happy New Year to all here!!!

tac, ig, ken the GFT and the Mince Pie Monster Boys

Hi, tac I had emailed Charles Ro Supply Co (USA Trains parent company) customer service department about three weeks ago twice in trying to get a problem resolved and received no response. I eventually just called. I was told by Butch that they had been having trouble with their email, that it had been down for a while. It seemed strange to me but maybe that’s the issue that you are having. Their phone number is 800-225-4425. You could ask for Mike in parts. It really is amazing to me the quantity of parts that they have in stock and their fast fulfillment time. For some of the older products you might not have any luck but I did find that they had several parts that I needed for one of their 44 Tonner locos that have been out of production for quite while. Or maybe you can find a Mighty Mo on Ebay that hasn’t seen had quite so much run time. Good luck. Mark

Just saw 2 of them on ebay tonight. One for $300 + $28 shipping, the other for $160 and free shipping

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)I paid $15 for the loco.

tac

Doesn’t USA trains sell the motor blocks for them?

The part numbers are called out in the manual.

http://www.usatrains.com/pdf/20tonmanual.pdf

Sure do, but I live in UK, and it seems that emails are getting held up by the strong winds over the Atlantic…not having had any kind of a response, what else am I to think? Toll-free only works IN the USA.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Try this number

781-322-6084

… wait for it …

Have you talked to Paul at USA? Each time I call and talk to him, he is very helpful and get the parts out. He is in the parts department. Very knowledgeable.

Many thanks for all the good advice here - much appreciated. I’ll be making some phonecalls later today, and see how I get on.

tac

OVGRS

Hold the phone calls, I just got this message from an unknown person at USA Trains -

We only have R22-12 motor truck in stock $49.95

R22-13 is out of stock

USA Trains

662 Cross St

Malden, MA 02148

781-322-6084

No need to be so effusive, eh?

tac

OVGRS

Wonder what the motor cost if it was available?

Since you paid $15, what does “$$$$$$$$$$$$$” translate into in terms of a number? (how much were you willing to spend) (on this side of the pond, a repeating digit means more, and a whole bunch of repeated digits means a lot).

Greg

Parts list for 20 tonner/Mighty MO. Prices are from many years ago and are now double.

1 R22- 01 Sunshade (Specify Color) $2.00
2 R22-02 Diesel Horn 2.00
3 R22-03 Smoke Stack 2.50
4 R22-04 Smoke Unit 14.95
5 R22-06 Lens Cover (1) 1.95
6 R22-07 Light Bulb & Wire (also for cab and rear light) 3.50
7 R22-24 Front/Rear Hand Rails For 20 Tonner (2) 10.95
8 R22-25 Front Corner Ladder (specify color) (2) 4.95
9 R22-26 Coupler Mounting Block & Pivot Arm (no coupler) 4.95
10 R22-27 Coupler Spring & Mounting Plate 1.95
11 R22-28 Coupler Lift Bar With 4 Attachment Rings (1) 1.95
12 R22-12 Replacement motor truck (1) 24.95
13 R22-13 Replacement Motor Only (1) 14.95
14 R22-29 Truck Sideframe (2) 7.95
15 R22-30 Side Hand Rails With Holders (2) 10.95
16 R22-31 Air tank (specify color) 4.95
17 R22-17 Slide shoes & springs (4) 3.95
18 R22-32 Rear corner ladder (specify color) 4.95
19 R22-20 Air hoses (16) 7.95
20 R22-23 Windshield wipers (4) 1.95
R50001 USA Trains Smoke Fluid (4oz) 6.95
R50002 USA Trains Conductive Lubricant (2oz) 9.95

The motor alone costs $39.95…seems a lot for such a common item.

My comment about the $$$$$$$$$ was just to show that I was willing to pay for whatever I received - I’m no gladhander.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Yeah I agree, $40 for a motor is high… well the truck should come complete with everything for just $10 more… that’s one way of looking at it…

another way might be that they raised the motor alone so much, most people would buy the truck, and then they stock fewer parts…

Greg

Since some have had success researching the origins of Aristo motors, maybe the same could be done here. I wouldn’t think they would be that much different. And remember that the hobbies use off the shelf stuff.

Sort of true Craig, the double ended motors are often a special order, found that during the last motor research effort.

The other piece is if the user can remove and re-install the worms himself. If the old motor is toast, heat is your friend.

Greg

To add to the story, which I think is a bit interesting, I was searching for a motor for an Aristo loco, and actually got a hit on “Polk” and the motor manufacturer… I actually then found an import certificate and found the motor part number… getting to the Chinese web site, I found many similar part numbers, and the exact same number, but missing one suffixed letter… going around the site, I did find that letter meant double ended, but was a special order, was not stock.

But you order 1,000 motors and you can have the double ended shaft.

Regards, Greg

Gee, that’s rough. Unless one would want to become a supplier of replacement motors.

I just got an email from USA Trains… I’ve copied here in full.

You can order online at www.charlesro.com

USA Trains

662 Cross St

Malden, MA 02148

781-322-6084

Not exactly brimming with helpful friendliness, eh?

tac

OVGRS