Large Scale Central

USA Trains Heavyweights in transit

Greg,

Just looked at it. I will probably just paint it to make it less visible. Did you see the comment I did on the diaphragms just previous to your post?

I had not seen it, but my observation on the diaphrams are the same as yours, a much stiffer compound than that used on the F units.

I apparently have an old email and old cell number, can you email me [email protected] with your new contact info?

Thanks, Greg

Paul Burch said:

Some SP heavyweight photos with my GS1 northern that will be assigned to this train. Been waiting a long time for this. Just need to get a couple Kadees installed.

Paul,

Absolutely gorgeous train. Those cars are to die for :)! True scale and massive :). I know you have been waiting for these for a long time. I’m happy for you. Well worth the wait!!

How is the center axle sprung?

The center axle is not sprung. They are free to float in a channel.

Paul Burch said:

The center axle is not sprung. They are free to float in a channel.

Paul,

Thank you!

However I thought this was the biggest bitch about Aristo’s tri axle heavyweight trucks derailing with the vignette’s posted here on LSC from other sites over the years ?

I guess my next question is if they derail is it because the center axle is not sprung like stated in many posts over the years or if they do not derail does that put the unsprung center axle outta play?

I’m only asking as I’m curious. Not really a fan of what Aristo offered as they didn’t offer what I was after but they “were” a manufacturer that many seemed to be disappointed with and pick apart so I will be curious how the USA trucks stand up to the “testing” !

Rooster,

One big difference is that the USA truck pivots on center while the Aristo was off center. My bet is that they will be fine.

Agreed, one of the biggest problems with the Aristo truck is the off center mounting, causes all kinds of problems. Also many people removed the center axle to allow running on tighter curves. The issues with the Aristo designs is much more complex.

Will torture test on my S curves if it stops raining.

Greg

Do these have the brake shoe electrical pick ups or did they put ball bearing wheels?

Nico Corbo said:

Do these have the brake shoe electrical pick ups or did they put ball bearing wheels?

Neither!

Like the USA Trains caboose, the Heavyweight car appears to use the plunger type electrical pickups that rub against the backsides of the wheels as can be seen in Greg’s picture below that is on his Heavyweight car page.

-Ted

They are same idea as USAT streamliners. Back of wheels are smooth, but yes more drag than ball bearing.

Will be tearing one down soon for details.

Looks like I need another Hudson to double head to pull this train.

For those that run battery power and do not have track power but want lighting I just did a quick conversion on my observation. I removed the track pickup from BOTH trucks and spliced in a 9v battery to the leads from one of them that hides in the vestibule. Photos are pretty much self explanatory. How long the battery will last with all lights on or just the markers and drumhead is to be determined. The removal of the power pickups sure allows the car to roll better.

The intensity of the lighting on the markers and the drumhead are perfect on the observation!

Gary,

Since I used all the USA internal wiring I would also assume that there is a voltage regulator in there. So if the 9v doesn’t last very long, there is plenty of room in the vestibule for a larger battery even if its a higher voltage.

Paul, That lighting looks great!

Something to consider:

I did an experiment using a rechargeable 9 volt lithium 600 ma hour battery in a USA Trains Caboose. This battery has the same physical form of your alkaline battery. The actual voltage is 8.4 vdc for a freshly charged battery. If there is a regulator inside the car that does not perform well on one of these batteries, then two of them could be put in series for 17 to 18 vdc, that would emulate track power for which the car must have been meant to operate, so this may be a good choice to use in the USAT Heavyweight car.

-Ted

Ted,

Maybe tomorrow I will put in a fresh 9volt and just run the markers and drumhead. Leave it on and see how long it lasts. There has to be some regulation in there for track power. My guess would be 5v. If I really wanted, I guess I could stick a amp meter in the circuit and see what the draw really is. I really don’t want to invest in another battery setup and charger. If the 9v doesn’t last long enough I will most likely go to a small 14.8 lion that will charge off my existing chargers.

We use these on all of our DVM’s and other equipment at work. They last a long time.

Paul Burch said:

Rooster,

One big difference is that the USA truck pivots on center while the Aristo was off center. My bet is that they will be fine.

Ok and thank you for the feedback.

Ted Doskaris said:

Nico Corbo said:

Neither!

Like the USA Trains caboose, the Heavyweight car appears to use the plunger type electrical pickups that rub against the backsides of the wheels as can be seen in Greg’s picture below that is on his Heavyweight car page.

-Ted

Looks about centered to me.

Greg Elmassian said:

Agreed, one of the biggest problems with the Aristo truck is the off center mounting, causes all kinds of problems. Also many people removed the center axle to allow running on tighter curves. The issues with the Aristo designs is much more complex.

Will torture test on my S curves if it stops raining.

Greg

Could you please share the complexity difference between the Aristo design and Charlies? I’m only curious as you purchasers are the master beta testers of the manufactured cars in hand. I’m just trying to understand and only relying on the feedback as perhaps someone that is coming into this hobby might be interested?