Large Scale Central

USA Trains Alco S4

I’m contemplating adding a USA Trains Alco S4 to the roster of the HDRR. I would like some opinions, pro and con, to help me decide. I have two Bachmann Davenports but this will be my first two truck diesel. I have all R1 switches, but my two truck Shay operates great through them so I’m thinking an eight wheeled two truck diesel ought to also. Please let me hear what you fellas think.

I have one, and I’m very satisfied with it. Its next on my list to rc/battery. Its painted in Northern Pacific colors. I’ve even put a bell on top of the hood, as per NP practice. I’ve never taxed it for pulling power, but then, it is a switcher. I recommend it, you won’t be disappointed.

Thanks Steve.

I second what Steve said. I have an S4 and it is a great engine. It is a bit smaller than the USAT NW2 but uses the same trucks. Mine has hauled 10 cars up and down a 3% grade and can negotiate R1 switches. I recently repainted mine to Bay Colony RR which used to run through my home town in the 80’s. It is easy to take apart and work on. I swapped out the black trucks for the grey that were on my NW2 in like 5 minutes.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/capecodtodd/_forumfiles/BayColonyRR.jpg)

Go for it Joe they are nice engines. What road namae will you get?

I like the Milwaukee Road colors and I would re-herald it to the HDRR if I go for it after xmas.

Good engine. I have mine set up with Airwire and battery onboard.

I love my C&NW one. The Alco sound that I installed from Phoenix is awesome. I run DCC. Later RJD

Since I’m retired USAF, I had this S-4 painted up in USAF Locomotive colors, with the road number as the year I entered service…

The above engine is battery powered…

Am having another one done for the wife, since she is also USAF retired…

Guys,

Since all my other rolling stock and locomotives are Bachmann, using their knuckle couplers, how difficult would it be to use them on this loco? Will the supplied USAT knuckle couplers work with the Bachmann knuckle couplers?

Joe Zullo said:

Guys,

Since all my other rolling stock and locomotives are Bachmann, using their knuckle couplers, how difficult would it be to use them on this loco? Will the supplied USAT knuckle couplers work with the Bachmann knuckle couplers?

As long as they are at the same height, they should work. I have no problem getting them to play nice together at Kadee height on my RR.

There is a bit of a problem with USAT couplers wanting to uncouple under a load. A shot of paint from a rattle can has always solved that problem for me by gumming up the works just enough. They still uncouple easily enough when you want them to.

Like Steve said, the USA couplers used to pop open on me at the worst times. The Bachmanns would pop open too, but not nearly as often. So I converted to KaDees years ago. As I recall, the USA and Bachmann would couple together ok.

Joe, as with all USAT locos, new or not, be sure to check for any “cracked axles”… turn the loco over, put one thumb on each wheel of the same axle, and try to turn them in the opposite directions.

If the axle is “cracked” one or both wheels will turn.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Joe, as with all USAT locos, new or not, be sure to check for any “cracked axles”… turn the loco over, put one thumb on each wheel of the same axle, and try to turn them in the opposite directions.

If the axle is “cracked” one or both wheels will turn.

Greg

Good tip. Will do.

Guys,

Thanks for all your encouragement and tips. I couldn’t wait 'till after xmas and just pulled the trigger on this one…

Ats purdey.

I have thought about getting an S4, but there are enough of them newfangled, cantankerous, diesel-lectric thangs on the property. According my lead engineer, Sam “Smokey” Black.

Good pick Joe!
Great running engines, I have a few of the NW2’s (same motor block) and they always seem to get the most use out on my railway.

Huzzah!

My Alco S4 arrived today. I had a chance to test run it for awhile today and it is sweet. There are no traction tires (I’m glad) and it still pulls pretty good. I did the split axle check as Greg suggested, and all is good. I lubed it and greased it so it is ready to go. I had to be creative to install Bachmann knuckle couplers, but it looks like it will work just fine. I’ll put it “in service” tomorrow.

Thanks for all your comments and tips.

Be sure to re-check the wheels after about 10 hours of running. Glad it arrived in good shape!

Greg

Today on my new S4’s initial in service trials on the HDRR I found a glitch. In the freight yard I have two Bachmann switches. The S4 was stuttering over them. My initial thought was that they were oxidized, so out came the Scotch-Brite. That wasn’t it. At one point the circuit breaker on on my Bridgewerks MAG-15 popped. Very strange says I! On closer examination and running the S4 really slowly over one of the switches, I noticed sparks from one of the skates. It turns out that the Bachmann switches have a smaller point molded into the plastic frog which brings the two little stub rails closer together than all my other brands of switches. The skates were actually touching both rails and causing a short. So the S4 goes into the shop and comes out minus the the skates. Problem solved.

Bachmann Frog…

Aristocraft frog…

Whew!