Large Scale Central

Upper Loop Viaduct

Today I’m building the templates for the upper loop viaduct and bridge. Here’s a couple of pictures of what it’ll look like eventually.

They will sit on rectangular concrete piers that will hide the 4x4 supporting post. Each span is two feet, which entails me moving a few posts to line up. Stay tuned!

What will you be building the viaduct sections from? I started something similar in pink foam once, but never finished because I was trying to make it fit to existing posts that were not evenly spaced. It just didn’t look right that way.

That should dress it up nicely.

Cool. Do you think you’ll end up moving some posts?

Not this year, but I think Ill end up moving maybe 5 of them, to get all the posts on 24" centers. A couple of them are on 26, and it throws things off. But, for now, I may just finish the bits I have in pine, treat it, and see how it looks.

Do like the big boys do… build it to fit the landscape. If one or two posts are too far apart, dig in a stream that needs to be crossed, or a canyon, or the like.

You will never get them all to 24 inches, and you will know where that one is a half inch too long, and it will drive you crazy…

Bob McCown said:
But, for now, I may just finish the bits I have in pine, treat it, and see how it looks.
I think you may kick yourself in the ass for that 2 yrs from now. 1/2" Azek trim board smooth surface out will look quite nice around that bend. Screw it too the posts and hide the screws with 1x2 ladder pieces(for projecting uprights) that I think you still have. Use nails with caulk (for adhesive) on the uprights. Just my thoughts

Bob,

i would second Davids sugestion, you can purchase 4x 8 sheets of the stuff in 1/2"and or 3/4" thickness and probally cut all the pieces you need out of it.

4x8 sheets of 1/2? Wonder what that costs, and where to get it locally… Hmm…

Bob,

I know Hamshaw lumber in Keene Nh has it. I would think a large lumber yard in your area might carry it.

Or you can do what I have been doing for composite trim boards for my ladder. Go to the Contractor’s counter and speak with them and they can order it in for you. Don’t try to get the info at the retail cashier’s counter, they generally have not got a clue what you are talking about. For my business needs I always deal at the contractors desk.

Might check and see if your local sign shop will sell to you, or if a sign supplier will sell direct. Garston is local in New England: http://www.garston.com/ Look under Substrates.