Large Scale Central

Upgrading the ROW for 1:20.3

When my railroad was initially built, all of my rolling stock was 1:22.5/1:24/1:29. As I expanded and rebuilt sections I did so with 1:20.3 equipment in mind, however older sections weren’t upgraded. I’ve begun to acquire some 1:20.3 engines which immediately point out clearance issues around the track. My first, a Bachman Dizzy was able to get around the railroad OK and only has a close clearance issue with my exit portal from the inside. Later a Bachman Connie was added and I began to notice problems at track level where the rod action would hit things along the roadbed. My most recent addition, an Accuctraft live steam Shay, made repairing the problems imperative. Whne running the Shay boiler first up-grade the counterweights would bash into the edging on a long raised roadbed section. When I initially built the raised section I wanted something to hold ballast. I found J-Channel for vinyl siding at Home Depot that when painted black did the trick nicely. [url=lsc.cvsry.com/JChan001-1024.JPG]

[/url][color=blue]Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] In the photo above a short section of the original J-Channel still remains. My installation method put the top edge of the channel at just above rail height. This was too close for the Shay so the J-Channel had to go. It was nice today, in the 40’s, but not nice enough to pull up track and remove the J-Channel completely. A quick fix was to just cut it loose with a utility knife. [url=lsc.cvsry.com/JChan002-1024.JPG]

[/url][color=blue]Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] [url=lsc.cvsry.com/JChan003-1024.JPG]

[/url][color=blue]Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] [url=lsc.cvsry.com/JChan004-1024.JPG]

[/url][color=blue]Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] Come spring this section will get re-worked, but for now the clearance problem is gone and the Shay can run boiler first up-grade. Jon

Jon,
I know what you mean…
I am in the process of building my outdoor layout and I use a width gauge when placing boulders, placing bridges, etc.
Even though I own no mainline 1.20.3 yet–you never can tell.
And several friends have this scale. I want them to run with no problems.
jb

John, we shall see how much clearance you left when I get a chance to run my 7/8ths stuff on your layout…:smiley:

Warren Mumpower said:
John, we shall see how much clearance you left when I get a chance to run my 7/8ths stuff on your layout…:smiley:

Good luck Warren ! Going from the inside to the outside if you were to get a good running start you might make it half way through the portal :o I wouldn’t need a door any more :smiley: The Shay has about 1/16" above the stack going through the portal. I actually made the opening a lot higher, but added a wood portal on the outside to dress it up. [url=

(www.cvsry.com/images/Escape7-1024.jpg)

]

(http://www.cvsry.com/images/Escape7-640.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] [url=

(www.cvsry.com/images/Escape8-1024.jpg)

]

(http://www.cvsry.com/images/Escape8-640.jpg)

[/url][color=blue]Right Click Photo and select Open Link in New Window to Enlarge[/color] Jon

Warren Mumpower said:
John, we shall see how much clearance you left when I get a chance to run my 7/8ths stuff on your layout....:D
Jon,

We have the same problem at the marina. Everytime we build to accomodate a bigger boat, somebody wants to bring in something bigger.

I use the Bachmann Diesel as the height and width gauge for all clearances. If that make it, all my other equipment goes through without problems.

I think as these K-27’s make the rounds, we are all going to see a lot of clearance issues.

Bart left all kinds of gear from his Shay along the ROW when he ran it here.

Mainly width issues, lost the radiator off the air reservoir, and had to ‘modify’ the portal at KV Shops, and I was thinking curves would be the problem. But thats what ye get when ya run a 7/8 scale Shay converted to 1:20…

Warren Mumpower said:
John, we shall see how much clearance you left when I get a chance to run my 7/8ths stuff on your layout....:D
That little runt will run just fine! But not without a battery..........:) :) :)

TOG

John, you have not seen the cab yet! That little runt is going to be around 9" tall. It’s only a runt length wise.

Bart Salmons said:
Mainly width issues [i][/i]
Yep, and mine are width at or below the rail tops. One of my folding bridges has hinges that need to be recessed, small rocks along the ROW in the ballast had to be pushed back, and the J-Channel had to go. All of this interfered with action on both the Connie and the Shay. Dizzy passed them just fine, but still serves as a good height gauge. It's roof and the Shay stack are almost exactly the same.

Jon