Large Scale Central

Updating the StJ&FC

Just a thought but I always considered the 45tonner chassis as a possible geared Lokie chassis bash fodder.

It would probably work but for you I think it would be too large. It would be quite a bit wider than what you have been building. But then again you could trim the frame. You might have to lower it too. If you have not already done so, check out Bruce Chandler’s Box Cab. He did a complete overhaul of the underframe which might work for you on your style locomotives.

Warren

“…I can’t do any spray painting until weather gets good outside again…or my house will go – BOOOOM…!!! The hazards of an open flame pilot on my furnace…”

Did not blow up the house a couple yrs back when blowing Badger “ModelFlex” !

doug c

Either you got lucky, or you can get far enough away to be of no harm. My house is too small. This is what it looks like when it does go “BOOM”…and unfortunately the poor chap didn’t survive it. :frowning:

Warren -

I’m not certain, but I think ModelFlex is an acrylic. No combustible chemicals or VOCs that are bad for your brain cells. Krylon now sells acrylics in a spray can, their H2O line.

My results with acrylic paints has not been as good as with lacquers, although it can be done with practice. There is an acrylic thinner that has some alcohol in it that helps some, but that adds some combustibility and VOC to the spray.

How about building a small spray booth that has negative pressure venting to the outside. I made one from a big cardboard box and a bathroom fan unit. I bought the fan new and spent about $100, but still cheaper than a commercial booth.

I can understand your fear of explosion especially after the story of that house and the owner.

JR

“… ModelFlex is an acrylic. No combustible chemicals or VOCs that are bad for your brain cells…”

Exactly !! The only way i could with slight MCS {multiplechemicalsensitivity} Luckily for me, it is only a major headache within minutes or at worst migraine that puts me in bed due to the pain,etc. for almost 24 Other people do the death dance on the ground within seconds.

This is why at the CMRS SUPERTRAIN NO smoke is allowed ! We almost lost a vendor from exposure to the toxic fumes from some ‘engine smoke’ two yrs ago !!

My hotwater tank (with gas pilot) is within 15’, and the furnance in the crawlspace maybe 20’ but ithink being electronic does not lite up unless furnance is on demand.

LOL I’m still dusting rust/CN red/engine black off the indoor layout surfaces . . dusted off the rooms TV screen within a month since things did look a bit dull !

doug

This story only had a reinforcing effect to an already existing respect for gas appliances. About 35 years ago I had a gas cook stove blow up while my hand and arm were in it. By some amazing consequence the only thing I suffered was singed hairs on my arm, and the only damage was a throw rug that caught on fire (and the roast that was cooking). Several neighbors saw the flash and heard the boom. We were all amazed at the fact that I was uninjured and there was no significant damage.

A note to your homemade paint booth: I would question the safety of using a bathroom exhaust fan. A truly safe paint booth needs a special, fully enclosed motor to prevent the sparking within the motor from igniting the fumes.

Warren

If I’m not mistaken…Bathroom fans are rated for this…excessive methane goes BOOM too ya know…

Bart Salmons said:
If I'm not mistaken....Bathroom fans are rated for this......excessive methane goes BOOM too ya know......
I know I have an excessive gas problem, but I never considered it THAT bad..!! :(
Warren Mumpower said:
Bart Salmons said:
If I'm not mistaken....Bathroom fans are rated for this......excessive methane goes BOOM too ya know......
I know I have an excessive gas problem, but I never considered it THAT bad..!! :(
Ever thought of trying live steam, with a free fuel source like that?
Warren Mumpower said:
[i][/i]

A note to your homemade paint booth: I would question the safety of using a bathroom exhaust fan. A truly safe paint booth needs a special, fully enclosed motor to prevent the sparking within the motor from igniting the fumes.

Warren

Good point Warren.

I took arcing from the motor brushes into account when I selected the fan. I found a squirrel cage design that had good CFM specs and a motor mounted outside the air path. Was much more expensive than a standard bath vent, but worth the extra money to be safe.

JR

This squirrel cage motor , is it cleared by the animal cruelty people ? Howja feed it ? Wouldn’t a Hamster be cheaper ? And gassing either is not very nice , is it ?
Mike

I’ve seen 12 volt boat exhaust fans used for these with a converter. They are designed to exhaust explosive fumes.

Hey , Ric ,
That’s a good idea , never thought of that . Prototype for everything department ought to be informed .
Are they 12 volt jobs ? If so , they would run off a battery charger . I use battery chargers as a convenient supply for a lot of nominal 12v stuff .
Just occasionally , you find they won’t take the starting surge . So keep fuses handy . Or put a slo-blo in .

Mike

Yes, they are 12 volt. Radio Shack and like companies have all kinds of small transformers used for phones, radios and other stuff. The blower exhaust fans have minimal startup resistance and will only run slower, if not given a full 12 volts. If you’re like me, you just have to check one of those boxes of electrical parts that you keep of stuff you just couldn’t throw away when the appliance or whatever went bad.

I guess it’s time I add to this before it turns into another hijacked Hillary thread :smiley: I’ve continued…slowly…with my progress on the tunnel. I’ve added a wing against the wall and some walls to the inside. I also was doing some fiddling with the catenary that will be going in too.

To improve it’s appearance…and hide all the butt ugly guts I painted the wall and the tunnel innards black. I’ve still got the pink wall to paint but that can be done later.

I put every thing back and stuck a piece of black cardboard behind the building. It was really bothering me because it looked like a burned out hulk.

Last, but not least I placed the camera on track #2 and shot a picture to see how it was coming from that view…one, which unfortunately can only be seen with a camera. As I progress I want to take some videos of my trains from the engineer’s view. In my opinion, this view will have some great photo opportunities. Should anyone ever get the opportunity to run on this layout, that signal is not there for a decoration. It functions and protects a hidden turnout inside the tunnel where track #2 joins #1. It’s all controlled with the TE.

I see what you mean about the building , it’s odd the little things that are irritating when you’re building . I get the nadgers when using different colour materials and so have to spray undercoat on the offending area . I would have given the silos a quick light spray by now , too . But that is personal choice , I am sure others would want to cover other things .
But , you seem to be doing very well , you have already achieved depth to your layout . Keep on going like that and everyone will want one .
I do admire your taste in locos . That is one of my favourites .
Keep the pics of progress coming , I don’t think we would let your work become a general interest site . Trouble is , everyone here seems to be so enthusiastic and ready to share thoughts .
Any plans yet for the tunnel entrance ? Styling , I mean ?

Mike

Basically the portal will represent a simple poured concrete tunnel typical of cities. The portal has been removed from the layout and is in the process of getting a couple of coats of simigloss laytex paint to get rid of that plywood look. Then I will add some columns etc to make it look more like a portal than a box. Once I get the paint to paint the portal its correct color I will also have the paint for the silos too. They are next on my project list for the layout. One of the reasons they have not been painted yet is that they are BIG and hard to handle. I just don’t want to lift them up and down until I’m ready to work on them and finish the project. I’ve also thought about ditching the cardboard tubes and using PVC if I can find that diameter. But doing that may make it too heavy for me to lift…:frowning:

Warren , you ain’t gett’n old , are ya ?

Mike

Mike Morgan said:
Warren , you ain't gett'n old , are ya ?

Mike

Ouch, Ooo, Ahhhh, Ummm where’s my glasses.

Now, what was that you wanted to know???