Large Scale Central

Update on Tenmille Ground Throws

Over this last winter I was able to get Tenmille Ground Throws installed on all of our outdoor turnouts. I guess you could say that yesterday was the first real test. Nothing had been touched over the last two months because of nasty weather, snow coverage and working on the inside portion of the railroad. Because of a death in the other side of the family, we ended up with grandkids for the weekend. Time restraints only gave us about 20 minutes to run a train. A two car consist of water tankers left Fiddle bound for a turn around at Beagle Junction and then heading back. No time to sweep frogs or do anything except pick sticks off the line in front of the engine. Every turnout worked flawlessly without sweeping or attention. I think the installation and holding of points to one side allows trash to flow through the tight spots on the turnouts and the simpleness of the mechanism allows positive throw. If there is somebody new to this site or you’ve forgotten about the write up I did on this conversion, you can see it at -

http://www.largescalecentral.com/articles/view.php?id=58

Nice to know you are at least able to run trains outside.

Today is finally warmer here (high 30’s - low 40’s) and the sun is in and out, but most of my railroad remains locked under 3 inches of solid ice.

I’ll thinking about trying to chip enough of it away to at least get down one leg of the Wye. Deep cut is buried in ice, mud and pine debris. That will take a long while to get open.

JR

I’m glad to hear they’re working out so well. I’ve been thinking of converting my switches to the Tenmilles.

One of the most concerning and successful parts of this project is that the occasional visiting crew, semi-sometime resident and most interested “switchman” for this project turned 3 on February 3rd. Luke was able to perform all of the “throwing of the iron” maneuvers without distorting or destroying any of the equipment. I have some self-adhesive reflective tape in red and green and have used an upholstery punch to cut 1/4 inch circles that are attached to each side of the circle on the throw bar. So the communication between the engineer and the crew went like something like this. “Make the points green, Luke”. Luke was then able to throw the turnout to the correct position and the switching maneuvers were carried out with minimum delays or flaws. He also carried out these maneuvers, many times on his own, or under Grandma’s supervision, while I was gone and still, as much as I can tell, all have survived. Underwriter’s Laboratories do not have engineers more qualified for distructive testing than the anxious hands of an energetic 3 year old. What fun.

We’ll find out this spring how easy they are to operate by bare toes :smiley:

I’m sure we will. We also may see how easy they are to operate with bare toes freshly removed. :wink: Thy ax is sharp.

Ric Golding said:
Underwriter's Laboratories do not have engineers more qualified for destructive testing than the anxious hands of an energetic 3 year old.
Amen, brother :(

…and at what price do we get a ground throw…?

Last time I asked here in Ottawa, it was around $15 each…egads…

They’re $13.75 here:

http://www.cocry.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=TENM

Of course, you’d have to order several at a time or else the shipping cost would kill the price savings.

I guess I’ll stick with “Barrel Bolts” at around $3 each; nomater that some think they don’t look “Pretty” enough…!!!

What are “barrel bolts” and where can I get them?

Ray…

You can buy them in good hardware stores and even Home Despot.

There was a note about using them on our web page at: www.ovgrs.org/

Go to the “Photo Gallery” and look under switch throws.

I built a bunch of these for way less than $3 each…:wink:

Lots of time and thoughts went in to this purchase. I don’t have the talent of Bruce or the labor force of Fred. We all make different choices, I was just reporting on what has worked for me. I have paid quite a bit of attention to what many people are using and had to create a control that would survive my environment. So far, it seems to be working and has had a positive impact on our enjoyment of the hobby

Ric, the thing I really like about the Tenmille throws is that they don’t catch things like hoses and feet. That’s the one real problem I have with the higher switch stands. The squirrel seem to want to chew on the little pieces though…

Like you, Ric…I admire the talents of others, and wish I had the time to mass produce high level switch stands like Bruce. I chose the “Patented” Kaydee (Not to be confused with “Kadee”) Barrel Bolt Ground throws, because they were CHEAP, and required minimul labour.

To make a barrel bolt ground throw; all you have to do is buy a few dozen “2 inch” barrel bolts, and drill a hole in one end of the bolt. Then using a metal threading screw and two washers; attach it to a spring made from piano wire.
There has been a question asked; “What is and where do I buy Piano wire”

Piano wire is just tempered steel wire that can be purchased at many sources. Try a metal supply firm, or a bearing service company. It comes in many thicknesses. I use a relatively thin size, as the “Spring” doesn’t need to be too strong, or it will soon damage the ends of the throw bars.
I find that using the extenders that come with the Aristo throw mechanisims, and leaving them attached to the throw bars; you simply drill a small hole in the extention, and hook the spring to that. It saves wear and tear on the throw bars.

So…if you have only a few switches; lots of time on your hands for new projects, lots of money, and a desire for “Pretty” switch throws…go for the lovely “Store bought” Tenmille ones, or learn to build Bruce’s model…they are great.

But…if you have more switches than you can readily count, and need something dependable and CHEAP…go for the Barrel Bolts.

There is a chance that an article on how to build switch stands will show up next month in Garden Railways. It’s been in the next issue for the last two…:wink:

And, if I can do it, you guys can do it as well…it’s really kind of neat to work with the brass.