Large Scale Central

Unusual engine and load

Engine type I’ve neve seen, Load in gondola is a prefab switch. Saw them in the yard in Stockton behind the Diamond Walnut plant.

I’m pretty sure that’s the RPI Green Goat

2 Likes

I think that is one of the “Genset” locos. The ones I have seen, have three smaller diesel gensets, that each start and stop as power is needed. Not a replacement for big power, but good as a yard goat.

1 Like

That is a neat load and a unique engine. Someone should build one. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s a GG10B “Green Goat” switcher. Not a Genset but a hybrid with a small generator and a bunch of batteries.

Thank you all for your replies. I haul truck loads of walnuts to the Diamond Walnut plant in the fall, and the entrance road skirts the edge of the big train yard in Stockton. I get to see what is happening in the train yard and there are some interesting things. That engine was a mystery to me and then the gondola appeared in front of it with the prefab switch in it. Later another gondola appeared in front of that one with another prefab switch in it. The harvest season for walnuts ended, and so I wasn’t back to see more.