Large Scale Central

UGH! Trackwork/leveling&ballasting

Well, over the last two days 7-8hrs in the hot sun re-worked the North East curve of the layout. Put in two switches so now I can switch from inner to outer loop, and vicy versey. Don’t have to carry each piece over to one or the other now. Real time saver. Don’t ya just hate it when you can’t find something and then hours or days later your looking for something else and you find it!! Hah I found this patio umbrella from my salesman days selling moonshine, really beats laying in the hot sun (well at least it helps) Don’t sunburn me widdle bald head this way too, and don’t have to wait for the shade to get where I needs it anymore. Anyway its off to the North West (kinda in the middle) the switch that goes into my garage it needs some tweeking. Here’s a couple of pics of the new switches in place, and they do work!! Oh man what a relief, after breaking one not being able to fix and luckily found another! Whew Regal

It’s always nice to have “happy” switches.

I was always battery powered since I installed the layout more than five years ago. I have always used LGB. This year I have wired up the layout and installed clamps. All of the switches worked without a whimper. The club layout, on the other hand, is brand new and two switches have already burned out. I’ll pay the price for LGB.
Keep up the good work.

…winking…

I finally found a good use for my one lonely unloved Aristo turnout - no, not as fill… I put it on the mine spur to make a second track to the tipple, instead of fighting with it on the main.

As long as I remember not to try to run a locomotive over it (or anything else above a dead slow creep), it works just fine… deepening the flangeways on the frog, and putting thin shims on the guide rails helped too… no more pogo stick trains