Large Scale Central

U-tube vid of car dumper

WOW!
Check out this video of an automated car dumper on U-tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLbqnw2bKeI
JimC.

Very interesting, Jim. They seem to have automatic couplers on the cars. I wonder how those work. A photocell must trip the turnout on the switchback. I’d love to see that thing in operation. I might learn something…and automate something on my layout…:smiley:

I’d guess that turnout is spring loaded, the car forces it’s way through, and then the switch snaps back. You can hear the metal wheels.

Regards, Greg

I saw this several years ago at a NMRA convention. Do not remember what year, but it was fasinating to watch it operate in person.

I’d guess spring switch. Later RJD

The Bergen Generating Station had a similar set up, but would just rotate the car in the same manner but the dump site was just under the tracks. In winter the cars would be heated before entering the dumping area to melt the ice. I was installing a communications system there in the early 80’s and was taken to the boiler area and saw coal dust being blown into the boilers and it looked like oil the way it burned.
The craftmanship and modeling ability that went into this is unbelieveable. Nick Jr