Large Scale Central

Twilight on the Kittatinny Mountain Railroad

Thanks again guys.

Jon you are correct. The new owner Frank already has the track and agreed to give me 150ft in 5 ft sections with 4 switches.

It hurts to leave current RR with all the work I put into it and having to possibly wait till spring to get new layout started (im going to try like hell to get track down before the ground freezes) That will depend on if I decide to raise it up 2ft or keep it at ground level. I hope my next layout can be comparable or better. I plan on going with 8ft dia curves as my min but will be about the same size as the current. I have I few good idea already just getting excited to start. The next month is going to be torture waiting.

I look forward to watching the build. I concur with the idea of raising the layout and suggest going to three feet, rather than just two feet. You are not getting any younger.

I’ll vote for raising it. Anything would be better than directly on the ground if you can do it. Alternately; a stand-up steam-up bay would be great. If you cant go up high enough for a bay, you can always dig down too - but don’t forget steps for us old pharts.

I took my first layout up because it was at ground level and my age was catching up on me .

The second one was at waist level----that got smashed in a storm . I nearly gave up but we are currently working on number four , definitely at waist level and narrow enough to reach across where access is not available all round .

Waist level is ideal for steam working .

Mike

I would love waist level but too much dirt is needed and then I would be forced to use block to build up. Even a small layout would require a lot of block and dirt. Too expensive. I figure at about 2 ft I can use rock from the rock walls along the property without having to worry about anything caving in. At 2ft I can at last sit in a chair to prep the engines or as Jon said dig a pit. I like the idea of using rock ten I can stick plants into the wall and have them drape down. It would be more natural looking. Once I get into the new house and get started I will have a better idea.

I think 2ft is just fine. I like the look of rock, part of my layout is rock, it gives it a rustic look. maybe some quarry stones mixed in.

Well, well, well… I’m just now catching up on all this.

If I’d known I’d have made the drive down myself, just to see you guys again and bid farewell to the tin kitty! Anyway, I’m glad I saw you, Shawn, and your little jewel of a pike in July.

As for my own pike, I started at ground level, gradually raised it all to a foot or two above ground, moving TONS of rock and dirt to do so. Then I remembered that I got into this to run trains, not to dig and pile dirt and lift heavy rocks every weekend. Was I insane???

So I changed my approach. I went all the way from rock on the ground to benchwork on concrete blocks at 39" height above ground - that’s kitchen counter height plus a little bit more because I’m over 6’ tall and counter height of 36" felt a tad low. I had two reasons: after fooling around on my knees it was getting more difficult each year to get up and I wanted to see the sides of the trains rather than the tops.

I have not regretted going all the way to 39" high one little bit. I recommend to anyone starting out or starting over that they set up a small temporary switching pike on some benchwork and experiment with the height until they can enjoy their trains the way they want to. If you want to watch trains go 'round and round, then ground level is perfectly ok but for operations, you will want access to the trains at a comfortable height. My problem was that after a short time I found the first choice boring, the second proved to be of enduring interest.

As for scenery, for sure mine is nothing like Shawn’s, but I do place buildings, rocks, and plants on the benchwork, and it works well enough for me. I have taken many perfectly satisfactory photos of scenes on the benchwork.

Nowadays, after building models, my interest is primarily in operations, so I’m satsfied with the small amount of scenery I have, all of which is movable, by the way. Down through the last half century of model railroading, it has become apparent that in general the operators among us are less interested in scenery than in other aspects of the hobby.

…on their own railroad, that is. It’s always great to see and admire a beautifully scenicked pike, such as friend Shawn’s, here. Good luck as you move on to the next stage, Shawn!

That early climax with the round water tank is great ! What can you tell us about it ? Looks scratch built, What did you use for trucks or power blocks ? It looks like it would be a little on the fragile side. I love that engine !

Dale Loyet said:

That early climax with the round water tank is great ! What can you tell us about it ? Looks scratch built, What did you use for trucks or power blocks ? It looks like it would be a little on the fragile side. I love that engine !

Dale sorry Im just getting back to you. Just about everything is scratch built including the flatcar it sits on. The boiler and water tank are all made from PVC pipes with pins stuck in as rivets. The trucks are Arsito with the sides coming from Ozark Minitures. Most of the details are either scratch built or from Ozark Minitures. The actuall motor is just for show and is static. That was built with pieces of styrene and junk I had around. The gearing on the bottom is also static. I didnt go crazy underneath because you cant see it. The roof is from an old barn roof I found localy. Its natrual rust on top.

The engine is actually very strong. It can handle some abuse. Its also battery powered. The battery is underneath the flat car behine engine. It can also run on track power. I did a build log on here but cant find it.

Thanks for the information. Some day I may decide to take a try at building something on that style.