Large Scale Central

Turntable for Port Lavender Engine Terminal

So I finally bit the bullet and decided to build an engine terminal this year. I repurposed a previously constructed two track stub ended yard to act as the TT lead and service track, and drug out a TT module that I began construction on years ago…This is what I started with…

Now granted that it was not maintained, and spent the majority of its life propped up against an outbuilding, the structure that was framed with 2x4 with notched 2x6 (pressure treated) finally failed…so I rebuiilt with 2x8 this time, with no notched lumber to fail…

I had struggled for years with some way to fabricate pit walls and this had stalled the project for me for a long time. Then it occurred to me; the pit walls really can’t be seen if there is a locomotive on the bridge, and the bridge hides the walls in most viewing angles, so I elected not to have pitwalls at all. This will also help me avoid having to clean holly leaves out of a TT pit everytime the wind blows…

The bridge is some square PVC downspout matieral I picked up at the local hardware store, the bearing I think will be made from basic plumbing fittings and once those are installed the bridge detailed, and ties and rail added, the height should be just right…

The bridge is 41 inches long, long enough to accomodate a Bachmann K and my 4 truck Shay. I painted the module and sides to protect the plywood top, there will be a roundhouse/shop complex added later, as well as locomotive storage /display tracks, as well as one tangent dedicated to loading and unloading locomotives from the layout…

I like that… a lot. BZ.

Bart,

It looks great. You can take it apart now and bring it to Rhode Island. :wink:

Looks good Bart, but needs paint on the inside to preserve it

Dave, N.B., Marconi said:

Looks good Bart, but needs paint on the inside to preserve it

Hollywood, I don’t think Bart will fit on the inside… :slight_smile:

Neat idea Bart… like it.

I found some sort of plastic packing material in the dumpster at work…so I set about making some pit walls out of it, just trimmed to fit and bradnailed it in place. Still needs to be painted sonn as I find a good color for concrete…the gray paint is sorta glaring

And since the pit is nearing readiness, I needed to do something abotu the bridge. I used a piece of PVC downspout and glued on 1/4 " styrene Tee as ribs, and then applied .040 strips for rails to form the web of the bridge…

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/bart_salmons/_forumfiles/tt05.jpg)

Bart,

Try a gray primer. I like Bondo spray primers available in rusty red, gray and black but there are slightly different shades from other manufacturers.

Personally, when I want to simulate concrete I start with a beige and then over-spray with ruddy brown and a dark brown. I like to simulate concrete that has aged a bit and no longer has that new concrete gray colour.

Or go to Home Depot and get an 8 oz. paint sample in the exact color you want. Outdoor and latex based…