Large Scale Central

Turnouts

hello all…i am new to this site. i am in the process of laying out my outdoor railroad. i would like to obtain full scale patterns of aristo-craft’s #6 and 10’dia turnouts and their 30 degree crossing without purchasing an elaborate on line model railroad design program.

For the Aristocraft #6, go to www.aristocraft.com, and go to tech support and scroll down to track.

There is a pdf file of the switch there.

Dan Pierce said:
For the Aristocraft #6, go to www.aristocraft.com, and go to tech support and scroll down to track.

There is a pdf file of the switch there.

i am also looking for information on aristo’s #6 and 10’ diameter turnout “parallel adapter for a siding” as i will be using only the 10’ diameter turnouts in the yard…could someone explain what this adapter accomplishes.

David,

The Aristo #6 turnout does not have an equivalent radius. The diverging track exiting the frog is straight. It can not be used in place of a piece of sectional curved track. You can probably get a decent transition to a 10Ft Dia curve by cutting a piece of track to fit and using Split Jaw or Hillman clamps to connect.

The Aristo “Wide” switch does have a curved diverging track, but it is short of a full piece of 10’ Dia sectional track. The adapter tracks Aristo sells (if you can find them) either complete the curve to match one section of 10’ Dia. curve, or reverse the curve to bring the diverging track parallel with the straight route.

Quote:
10' diameter turnout "parallel adapter for a siding"
This is the one that reverses the curve of the switch to bring the track parallel again.

Good luck with your track planning.

Jon

Just in case you have also considered LGB track,
their 1800 series switches and curves replace each other for diverging.
CCT also has a plastic template for LGB track, thus no need for software. I believe it’s 1/4 scale. Made to use on the paper with 1/4 squares.
Similar to this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/G-SCALE-TRACK-TEMPLATE-LGB-USA-BACHMANN-ARISTO-CRAFT_W0QQitemZ6051404648QQcategoryZ19154QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But this is an older version that does not have LGB 1800 series track, so it wouldn’t do you any good.
jb

thanks Jon…l hope to submit a sketch of the proposed “IWANNA” railroad to members of this site to view…perhaps the experienced pros can advise me to what will and will not work…

Jon Radder said:
David,

The Aristo #6 turnout does not have an equivalent radius. The diverging track exiting the frog is straight. It can not be used in place of a piece of sectional curved track. You can probably get a decent transition to a 10Ft Dia curve by cutting a piece of track to fit and using Split Jaw or Hillman clamps to connect.

The Aristo “Wide” switch does have a curved diverging track, but it is short of a full piece of 10’ Dia sectional track. The adapter tracks Aristo sells (if you can find them) either complete the curve to match one section of 10’ Dia. curve, or reverse the curve to bring the diverging track parallel with the straight route.

Quote:
10' diameter turnout "parallel adapter for a siding"
This is the one that reverses the curve of the switch to bring the track parallel again.

Good luck with your track planning.

Jon

John…thanks for the tip on LGB track…I have considered it…however I am leaning towards SS…I plan to use track power with DCC…what type of track and control system do you use

John Bouck said:
Just in case you have also considered LGB track,
their 1800 series switches and curves replace each other for diverging.
CCT also has a plastic template for LGB track, thus no need for software. I believe it’s 1/4 scale. Made to use on the paper with 1/4 squares.
Similar to this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/G-SCALE-TRACK-TEMPLATE-LGB-USA-BACHMANN-ARISTO-CRAFT_W0QQitemZ6051404648QQcategoryZ19154QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But this is an older version that does not have LGB 1800 series track, so it wouldn’t do you any good.
jb

David,
I use LGB track. When I started back in 1984, it was the only track available. So I’ve stuck with it thru the years.
My power is good old track analog, even though some of my lokies have built in LGB decoders.
I’m not ready for DCC conversion as of yet, although I am considering battery/RC for a couple of locos.
jb

hello all…
i have plans to install a 30 degree crossing on the main line. it will be on a straight run of track. the crossing will bring trains from the storage yard in the basement across the main line to a parallel track which is the outer loop of a yard…has anyone had any experiences with this type of application. perhaps the most important question woul be: how will a high speed train on the main line negotiate this crossing?

hello all…
i have another question for all the experienced large scale members: If you were to start over in regards to track and control system…what would you do differently now and why?..i know this question has popped up from time to time…i am about to make a sizeable investment…and want to be sure it’s the right decision…your input will be a big help and be greatly appreciated…

Battery RC all the way…don’t look back…Never have ran track power…never will!

hello all…
i run and maintain an outdoor railroad that is open to the public. i am doing spring clean-up…re-ballasting etc…
i noticed the hillman rail clamps look like they need to be cleaned along with the clamps used to power the track…they use Aristo’s train engineer…the track is LGB brass and has seen very little maintenance…except for track cleaning…over the years…how should this task be accomplished?..again…thanks for your input.

Hillmans and the power clamps don’t need cleaning. Just check for tightness.
It’s only the top of the rail that needs cleaning. And the wheels of the locos.
j

David, You asked for a 30 degree crossing.

This one has been on the ground since February, 1997. I don’t know if you’d call what I run as high speed main line, but we did have a guy end up in the hedge while he was chasing his Ruby. It made the turn, he didn’t. It also sits at the far end of this shot.

I’ve also got a 90 degree crossing out front, but I don’t think I have a picture of that.

Rick thank you for the photos (very nice!) of your railroad and 30 degree crossing…my application will be the same as yours…what is the dimension between the parallel tracks and what size is the turnout? also trying to put together a table of measurements for track layout such as tunnels…bridges…walls…platforms…etc…etc…

Ric Golding said:
David, You asked for a 30 degree crossing.

This one has been on the ground since February, 1997. I don’t know if you’d call what I run as high speed main line, but we did have a guy end up in the hedge while he was chasing his Ruby. It made the turn, he didn’t. It also sits at the far end of this shot.

I’ve also got a 90 degree crossing out front, but I don’t think I have a picture of that.

Bart…thanks…i am also considering battery power for my locos…what system are you happy with and why?

Bart Salmons said:
Battery RC all the way…don’t look back…Never have ran track power…never will!

I use the RCS EVO system. It uses good ol fashion 2 channel radio control, just like RC cars. If yer a man on a budget…you can buy the components seperately if ya need too. Good Range too, plus I find it hard to keep up with those tiny transmitters. Lay it down or stick it in a pocket and forget what I do with it. Its hard to beat RCS for service too!

David,

I use LGB 1600 turnouts. The track is probably about 7.5 to 8 inches apart, center on center. I really don’t measure much just lay it down and see if a couple of trains will pass without tearing the paint off the side of the cars. Certainly wouldn’t want to get less than 7.5 and taht may be tight on the curves. Depends on equipment, space and your available land to use.